Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Canon 80D making noise while turning ON & OFF

Hi Team, I'm new to Canon family. I brought Canon 80D very recently and noticed that my camera is making a wheel like sound while turning it ON and OFF. Can any one help me resolving it ?? or what is the reason behind it ? Thanks, Srujana.
Respected Contributor

Re: Canon 80D making noise while turning ON & OFF

Srujana wrote:
Hi Team, I'm new to Canon family. I brought Canon 80D very recently and noticed that my camera is making a wheel like sound while turning it ON and OFF. Can any one help me resolving it ?? or what is the reason behind it ? Thanks, Srujana.

The camera has a auto sensor cleaning function that shakes the sensor to remove any dust when the camera is turned on and off. Most people don't hear it, but, that could be what you are hearing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the camera goes through a sensor cleaning cycle on power up and power down.  It should be near silent.  If your camera is making audible noises, then there is something defective with your camera.  Excahange it for a new one, or send it to Canon for repairs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Respected Contributor

You can turn off the automatic sensor cleaning to determine if that is the cause of the noise.

Respected Contributor

There may or may not be something wrong. Most people can't hear the sensor cleaning, however if you are especially sensitive to the frequency it uses you might hear it. If it is not real noticeable to other people there may be nothing wrong.