cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80D - Urgent Help

kfclampitt
Apprentice

I purchased my 80 D back around May of this past year.  It has been working fine no problems.  Now all of a sudden it has started not saving settings and it will stay on long enough to put in the setting paramiters you want and then it cuts itself off and back on and loses the settings.  It will not stay powered on and the switch is in the on position.  I need to get this fixed ASAP, I have Senior Portrait shots booked, and my old T4i doesn't compare to my 80D.  My lenes all work with the T4 so unless it's the connectors I don't think that is the problem i changed lenes and it did the same thing.  Could my battery pack be bad or could it be something in the display screen?

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority

Still under 1-year warranty?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Yes I i think it was April or May when it was purchased

lly3988
Rising Star

Call Canon.

OK, great.

Thanks for all of you help

I'm requesting service on their site now.

"I'm requesting service on their site now."

Well if you already have this in the works, this may be a moot point.  But it sounds like your battery and/or charger is faulty. You might try a new battery first.  You probably have need for extras anyway. It is always a good idea to reset the camera to default settings when unexpected things happen. You might do that first, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Remove the camera lens and remove any other accessories (battery grip, etc.) from the body so you are testing "just" the camera body (in the event that an accessory is causing the problem.)

If you still have the problem then the body needs service.  

The camera has an internal "battery" that retains date/time & settings.  On some camera models this is a coin battery.  On other camera models it's an internally charged battery (capacitor) that takes it's power from the normal camera battery and the camera will retain settings for a period of time even with no battery inserted.  

It sounds like there's a defective connection internal to the camera that causes it lose power and drop all of it's settings.

If you've got portrait sessions booked, and if you are not a member of Canon CPS (and unable to get a loaner) then you might want to arrange to rent a camera body (e.g. LensRentals, BorrowLenses, or sometimes even a local camera shop will rent bodies) to get you through your booking because I suspect your camera is going to need to go in for service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Im sure it will, i've contacted canon about returning for warranty repairs.  I have also contacted the dealer where it was purchased.  I do have another camera and it will suffice but my 80D is the best one I have.

Thank you for your help

Hailee
Apprentice
Did you figure this out?? It sounds like mine is doing the same thing!
Announcements