cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80 Video grainy/noisy

aniket80
Contributor

I am trying to shoot a short horror film.

Equipment:

- Canon 80D

- Canon 15-85 mm

- Sigma 30mm 1.4

- Canon 50mm 1.8

- Neewer Shoulder Rig

- LED Lights 55K 

The Camera Settings: ISO-100, Full Manual Mode, f3.5, Autofocus, FrameRate 24fps, Shutter 1/50

The video when imported in Premiere Pro, it's very grainy even though there are ample of lights.

It's not noticeable on the small screen but when seen on 4k Monitor its way too grainy.

What is that I am doing wrong here. I just want to use one light to give the night feeling as its a horror movie.

Please help.

Thanks in Advance

13 REPLIES 13

aniket80
Contributor
I am using ISO as 100, 800 would give me lot grainier video

Your clip appears to be generally underexposed and I'm not seeing what I consider to be noise. If anything, I think I'm seeing some compression artifacts. I would think the 80D should still be able to control noise fairly well at 800 ISO with proper lighting and exposure.

I've shot a small amount of video with my 60D and was pleased with how cleanly this concert footage turned out at 1600 ISO.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAhN57lFn7A

For the effect your looking for you might have to employ some lighting trickery. Maybe some angled off-camera light to expose your subjects, keeping them partly in shadow. And maybe some minimum background lighting to give your scene a sense of depth and place. And believe me when I say I'm no expert on the matter. Smiley Embarassed

Thanks @BurnUnit. I really appreciate your revert. I am also wondering why my Canon 80D is not able to get the HD quality even though I am 23fps FHD. 

But I think you are right, it is little underexposed and needs more light. 

Thanks again.

I don't think the quality improvement you're looking for has as much to do with your frame rate as it does with lighting and exposure. A 1/30th or 1/60th second shutter speed should be okay. To prove that the camera is working as it should look at video shot in daylight and in full HD and use the aperture to get the proper exposure. Maybe even shoot a bit at 720p and see how it compares to the 1080p. If using a tripod, turn off the image stabilization.

Don't know when or where exactly you're seeing noise but you may just be looking for problems if you're searching still frames of video. A little bit of grain or noise will pretty much disappear when viewing the actual video. The eyes and the brain tend to compensate and overlook a lot of little "flaws".

Announcements