cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7D

Dragonwarrior
Contributor

Hello,

So I am looking into getting a Canon 7d soon. I previously was thinking of getting a 40d but I have since changed my mind.

What are the pros and cons of this camera? Would anyone recomend it?

One of the reasons I like the 7d is because it has vidoe, a feature that is lacking in the 40d. Overall I have done some research and like the 7d and its features.

This will be my first DSLR,  but I do have a little bit of experince with the Canon 7d and the 40d as I have used both before. Which is why I like the 7d over the 40d.

The other camera I am possibly looking into would be a Nikon D300....which is a lot cheaper. I know this is a Canon forum, but if anyone has any specs or pros or cons on the Nikon D300 vs the canon 7d please let me know.

How does the Nikon compare to the 7d? Which would be better?

The one big problem with going Nikon would be I have no lenses for Nikon....but I do have basic lenses, which I know aren't that great at all, for canon.

Any advice and or tips most welcome!

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You seem to be on a budget.  Stick with your lens investment, Canon.  Beware of buying used gear, though.  There are a few online retailers that offer guarantees with their used gear.  I like KEH.  I have found their rating system on the condition of the gear to be rather modest.  I have found their service, both before and AFTER the sale, to be among the best in the business.

The best place to get deals on “used” Canon gear is the online Canon Refurbished Store.  They will give you a one year warranty, and the gear has that “new gear” smell to it.  Give them a look, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Dragonwarrior wrote:

Hello,

So I am looking into getting a Canon 7d soon. I previously was thinking of getting a 40d but I have since changed my mind.

One of the reasons I like the 7d is because it has vidoe, a feature that is lacking in the 40d. Overall I have done some research and like the 7d and its features.

This will be my first DSLR,  but I do have a little bit of experince with the Canon 7d and the 40d as I have used both before. Which is why I like the 7d over the 40d.

The other camera I am possibly looking into would be a Nikon D300....which is a lot cheaper. I know this is a Canon forum, but if anyone has any specs or pros or cons on the Nikon D300 vs the canon 7d please let me know.

The one big problem with going Nikon would be I have no lenses for Nikon....but I do have basic lenses, which I know aren't that great at all, for canon.

Thanks

First off there is a reason why the Nikon D300 is cheaper than the Canon 7D, you don't even have to know what the specific reason is, just that generally with older used gear, the market prices it where it should be.

A big reason to buy the 7D over a Nikon is Canon's STM lenses, they are inexpensive but offer superb image quality. You wont find a better lens value with any other manufacturer. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@Dragonwarrior wrote:

Hello,

Thanks

First off there is a reason why the Nikon D300 is cheaper than the Canon 7D, you don't even have to know what the specific reason is, just that generally with older used gear, the market prices it where it should be.

A big reason to buy the 7D over a Nikon is Canon's STM lenses, they are inexpensive but offer superb image quality. You wont find a better lens value with any other manufacturer. 

OK, thanks.  So I am pretty sure I have decided on the 7D.

So in general what lenses should I be looking into getting that are good quality but not super expenive? STM lenses look good. But what lenses are good for Macro and what ones are good for getting landscape pictures? or wildlife?

The D300 is a nice camera.  Actually a really nice camera but there is no way I would take it over a Canon 7D.  Not ever!

40D isn't in consideration either over a 7D.

As for lenses the Canon STM versions are good but so are Nikons G series.  Still the only choise here is the 7D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Indeed, sorry getting back to this late been very busy. But what about the Canon 60D? It is a little cheaper, and seems to be very similar to the 7D, only major things that are apparently different are weather sealing in the 7D and the focusing is better in the 7D.

How does the 60D compare to the 7D? Is there anything majorly different or lacking in either? Is the 60D compareble to the 7D?

Thanks

My vote is...  Ask your family members for some holiday cheer ($money$)  and wait till after christmas..  Buy a 7d2 refurb. or used form KEH.  Not the Nikon, Not the 40 or 60D.  In 6 months time you'll be ready to step up anyway. You've waitied this long...  a little bit more will be worth it.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@Dragonwarrior wrote:

Indeed, sorry getting back to this late been very busy. But what about the Canon 60D? It is a little cheaper, and seems to be very similar to the 7D, only major things that are apparently different are weather sealing in the 7D and the focusing is better in the 7D.

How does the 60D compare to the 7D? Is there anything majorly different or lacking in either? Is the 60D compareble to the 7D?

Thanks

It is hard to resist the pull of a new camera body to use.  I would advise saving up for what you really want, instead of getting something to get by for the time being.  Why?  Because you will never be fully satisfied with the “get by for now” camera body, and you will always wonder what the one you really wanted is like.  

Don’t be surprised if you find yourself buying what you really wanted all along in the future.  That’s when you realize that you bought a camera twice, when you could and should have done it just once.  I think any photo enthusiast is guilty of having done this at least once, be it with a camera body or a lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

It is hard to resist the pull of a new camera body to use.  I would advise saving up for what you really want, instead of getting something to get by for the time being.  Why?  Because you will never be fully satisfied with the “get by for now” camera body, and you will always wonder what the one you really wanted is like.  

Don’t be surprised if you find yourself buying what you really wanted all along in the future.  That’s when you realize that you bought a camera twice, when you could and should have done it just once.  I think any photo enthusiast is guilty of having done this at least once, be it with a camera body or a lens.

100% agree. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements