cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7D "*" button does not reduce magnification during playback

PJoseph
Contributor

My Canon 7D "*" button will not "reduce image / show thumbnails" when reviewing images (described on page 165 in the official Canon 7D docs.)

What the "*" button does do when reviewing images is terminate the review process and return the camera back to normal operations.

The "*" otherwise performs its functions as advertised when shooting photos and the camera works fine.

1. Anyone else have this problem?
  2. Is my camera broke?
  3. If so, can it be repaired?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

PJoseph,

Going over notes and past advisories, there are no known issues with the EOS 7D as you are describing.  This is unusual and if you still experience difficulty with this, I recommend that you have the camera evaluated by our Factory Service Center.

To start this process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mykolas
Authority

Hi PJoseph!

Thanks for posting!

When an image is displayed for quick review after it is taken, that function does not apply.  Pressing the " * " button will trigger the AE Lock function and return to shooting.  However, when you enter the playback mode to review images, pressing that button does zoom out.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The issue/problem I am describing happens during "playback mode".

Very strange problem because the button otherwise does trigger AE lock when "shooting" so it wouldn't seem that it's a problem with the button itself, however I'd need to look at a schematic to know for sure.

Based on what you've said, I'd guess my camera needs to go to repair since it's not working as advertised? My guess is this would not be a simple repair if it is a completely uncommon issue.

Is there any way you folks at Canon can ask one of your techs if this is a problem they might have seen before? I'd hate to send it in only to find out it's operator error or the repair is too involved.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Can someone from Canon please take a look at this thread to see if they can provide me with any additional information?

Thank you!

Hello Again P Joseph,

When in Playback mode, not the Quick Review mode, pressing the * (+) button will magnify the image.  Being in Playback mode you would have to physically go into that mode to magnify the images. 

If the issue persists then you may need to consider sending the camera into the factory for evaluation.  You can set up service through our web site.

>> When in Playback mode, not the Quick Review mode, pressing the * (+) button will magnify the image.  Being in Playback mode you would have to physically go into that mode to magnify the images.

With all due respect, I believe that's incorrect. I refer you to page 165:

http://www.bfm.ee/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Canon-EOS-7D-Owners-Manual.pdf

The "*" button I am referring to is on page 17 and noted as:

AE lock button/
Index/Reduce button
(p.106/165/167,197)

Again, the issue is pressing the AE/lock button/Index/Reduce Button DURING PLAYBACK simple blacks out the display screen. The physical button otherwise provides normal function when used as "AE/lock"

Can you please refer to whatever tech notes there may be for this issue and whether there are any past reports on this anomaly?

Anyone else have this problem or am I the lone one reporting this problem?

Thanks again for all your help. I look forward to your reply.

Opposes,

The + Button is actually the AF Point Selection button, not the * button.  We regret this inconvenience.  You would need to press this button several times to toggle between the different display modes.  If the issue persists we would recommend using the web site provided to arrange service.

It's still not clear to me what you're saying. Oh well.

I presume the answer to my question about being able to refer to previous repair logs/tech notes/service bulletins is not something that can be done. Is that correct?

PJoseph,

Going over notes and past advisories, there are no known issues with the EOS 7D as you are describing.  This is unusual and if you still experience difficulty with this, I recommend that you have the camera evaluated by our Factory Service Center.

To start this process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Thank you, Mike. That's what I was looking to hear.

Announcements