cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 7D Mark II GPS Problem

richlion
Apprentice

Tried the GPS on a new 7D Mark II. The GPS symbol just kept blinking...did not connect.  I tried it again and let it blink for an hour...no connect.  I was wearing a Garmin GPS watch...it connected in about 3 minutes so I know there are satellites up there.

Canon said the GPS was defective, exchange the camera. I did that and when I left the camera shop, I turned GPS on...it connected on less than one minute. Ah, I said, probelm solved...but

Today I took Mark II for another walk, and guess what, the GPS symbol blinked but did not connect  Disabled and tried again several times...no connect.

Did I get two faulty cameras...or are others also having GPS no connect problems with the Mark II???

Richard M, NYC

9 REPLIES 9

Did you try the original camera's GPS at the camera shop before you turned it in? Have you gone back to the camera shop with the replacement camera and tried it there? Maybe the 7D2's GPS receiver just isn't as sensitive as your GPS watch?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

cale_kat
Mentor

I'm just guessing but worked in Manhattan, you say NYC, and know there are many "canyon'd" streets. Is it possible you just aren't able to get a clear signal where you're trying? Have you gone to Central Park? JK  I think that's weird too. Sorry, wish I had a 7DII to compare notes with you.

Good luck

Mykolas
Authority

Hi richlion!

Thank you for the post.

Even when signal acquisition conditions are good, it can still take up to over 60 seconds to acquire a conneciton to the GPS satellite after you enable the GPS.  Until it makes the connection, the GPS indicator on the LCD will blink.  Once it is solid, it has made the connection and you can now shoot.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hmm, not quite that easy I'm afraid. Worked last year with a 7D Mark 1 with the external GPS unit on the hotshoe. The camera itself was in dire need of an update (thank you Canon) but the GPS unit worked fine. Now we have a wonderful camera in the Mark 2 but the GPS is too unreliable and there's no option to fit an external one. At least 20% of the time it doesn't register readings. I'm on a helicopter with positioning set to very second and I rely on this information for my work.
Canon please solve this glitch on an otherwise excellent camera.

With firmware 1.0.5 it seems they've done something towards remedying the problem as only twenty or so of the 5500 shots I took yesterday didn't register GPS readings. I chose to update this time in the hope that:
"Fixes a processing error in relation to the leap second for the "Geotag information appended to image" and "Log data" GPS functions." meant what I trusted it meant ...
I will still be monitoring as much as I can but having to keep a constant check on my equipment isn't my idea of customer satisfaction.

I wish you luck. Having the GPS and WiFi built into the camera is one big reason why I picked the 6D over the 7D Mark II. That, plus the low light performance and the full-frame sensor.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Good for you. I don't use WiFi on this job. I need the 112-480mm reach on the lens. 

The GPS failed again on a run of 130 shots today, so the firmware hasn't corrected the fault after all.

A world first for Canon! Firmware behaves like living organism! After just a few days of updating - the effect wears off, just like leaving a beer can open!

Kidding aside, the firmware has clearly done absolutely nothing to address the issue of GPS unreliability.

Thank you Canon. Like I said, nice camera but the GPS unit is total rubbish. I've tried several times to contact Canon Europe to pass on my complaints but they've chosen not to take any notice whatsoever, so their so- called customer service is rubbish too.

Well done Canon, when Sony overtakes you, you' ll wonder why ...

Mine often fails to get a lock and when it does it is ALWAYS several hundred yards out and often a mile or more.

Announcements