cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D stucks

Amagal
Apprentice

Hi, I have Canon 70D and when I keep shooting (example parties) for like 20minites, the shutter button does not work for several seconds after each shooting. At that time the display on top of the camara says 'busy'. Could you please tell me the reason for that and how to overcome it

thank you 

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Sounds like you just filled up the buffer. You are taking photos quicker than the camera can write them to the card.

What speed SD card are you using?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Amagal
Apprentice

Hello John, thankyou for replying me. My memory card is SanDisk Ultra 48mb/s class 10. It is 16gb but the problem occura even it has less amount of photos

Hello Amagal - when that happens what number appears in the viewfinder - see below where I circled in red.

Are you rapid-fire shooting?

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Do you have any of the lens corrections on? That can slow things down. Try to turn them off.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Could you please tell me the reason for that and how to overcome it"

Canon 70D sucks, no it doesn't.

Select 'single shot' in favor of multi shot.  All cameras have a limit to what they can do.  You would run into this no matter what camera model you have at some point.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think OP meant "sticks"Smiley Happy

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It takes some amount of time to save each image to the memory card.  To allow for faster shooting, the camera has a built-in memory "buffer" which it can use instantly.  This allows the camera to take rapid bursts of shots... but only as long as there is space in the internal memory buffer.

Once the buffer is full, the camera will say "busy" (and you'll notice the red light indicating that it is writing to the memory card).

As soon as it's clear enough space for just ONE more photo, it will let you shoot again... but of course there's only space for one shot.  You have to wait for all the images to be saved if you want a completely free memory buffer.

You'll notice that intiially the camera is very fast in burst mode, shooting continuosly for several seconds and then suddenly slows down:  click, click, click, click, click, click...........click...........click.

If this is what you're experiencing then that's the buffer going full.

The 70D can shoot up to 14 images in RAW format or up to about 65 images in JPEG format before the internal buffer is full and you have to wait on it.

This is normal.  Every DSLR camera would have the same issue.

The problem is not related to the size of your memeory card... it's related to the rate at which data can be written to the memory card.  Your 70D can use "UHS-I" class memory cards which tend to have faster write speeds than traditional SD cards.  That'll help things write faster... but again, you STILL have a limited buffer size in-camera.

Every DSLR camera has a limited internal memory buffer -- although some cameras have larger buffers than others.  The 7D Mark II, for example, has a large enough buffer to hold about 26 RAW images or up to about 103 JPEG images before the internal buffer is full.

Nearly every modern camera can take pictures faster than the fastest memory cards can save them.  It's the memory card's maximum write speed which is the limiting factor... not the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

hey Tim, I think this is the problem im facing. So when this problem occurs, is there something i can do other than waiting? anyway I will upgrade my memory card and try it out. thank you for the advice

Announcements