Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Canon 70D died

I would just like to add myself to the growing list of users experiencing a dead 70D after an Err 80. I have owned my camera for just over 2 years. I primarly use the camera for video, occasionally use it for photos. 

When the 70D started acting I was taking a few photos. While lining up a shot, the preview image on the LCD screen froze and the camera became unresponsive. None of the controls would respond, not even the power switch. "Err 80" on the top LCD. 

I did the usual troubleshooting techniques listed on this thread. I also travel with 3 fully charged batteries and 2 SD cards. I was able to bring the camera back to life 3-4 times. It continued to freeze up after a few seconds and show Err 80. Eventually, I couldnt turn on the camera anymore. Totally dead. 

I just sent the camera into Canon for repair and received an estimate of $444.69 to replace the mainboard. No explaination of why it died. I am very frustrated that Canon is not owning, what appears to be an obvious hardware flaw. I expected better quality from Canon.

Esteemed Contributor

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_error_msgs.shtml

bwolfclae,

You can find a brief explanation of what "Err 80" means at the above link.

Err 80: Electronic control or image malfunction                                                       

Be aware that shooting video can generate more internal heat than shooting photos.  If the camera works for a brief period, and then goes into a failure mode, that would suggest some component is intermittently failing, possibly overheating.

Seeing how you have a significant investment in your camera, I would suggest that you let Canon make the repairs, not any other third party.  Canon will go through your camera and bring back to factory specifications.

The alternative is walk away angry, and spend at least 2-3 times the repair cost on a new camera body.  And, if your new camera body is not a Canon, then you will need to buy a new lens, or lenses. 

In other words, the path of least resistance, or cost, is going to be getting your current camera repaired.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Waddizzle, do you realize this is Canon's fault, and camera was praised for it's video capabilities. No 60D has had this problems after mucho more video usage. If Canon repairs it to same factory specifications (or using the same flawed motherboard) it will probably fail again after their fix warranty. Canon Brazil already is repairing the Cameras at no cost after much complaining (and probably law enforcement). Canon has already repaired defective (Sony) sensors at no cost on S1-IS and others. We users must complain, it's unacceptable that such an expensive body has this design flaw.

You can also see other similar Canon cases here http://www.techhive.com/article/124765/article.html

Esteemed Contributor

"Waddizzle, do you realize this is Canon's fault, and camera was praised for it's video capabilities."

No, I don't assign fault, or blame, to anyone.  We just don't know enough, nor even if there is significantly high rate of failure. Reading about users sharing similar stories is NOT proof of a factory defect.  It is more self fulfilling prophecy than actual fact. 

Recently, there has been a massive recall by major auto manufacturers for faulty airbags.  Have the auto manufacturers been faulted for the recalls and alleged deaths due to the airbags.  No.  The supplier of the faulty airbag components, not the manufacturer who uses those faulty airbags.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If Canon repairs it to same factory specifications (or using the same flawed motherboard) it will probably fail again after their fix warranty."

That is a false assumption if I have ever heard one.  Do you have any basis in fact to support that conclusion?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We users must complain, it's unacceptable that such an expensive body has this design flaw."

Ranting on a user forum is not the proper "forum" for such complaints.  Organize yourselves and confront government regulators and law enforcement, much like you said Brazil did.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasional Contributor

Look in facebook the group: 70D erro 80

That is only with latin members.

There are more than 1370 people with the same problem, that is only solved if you pay 400 bucks after using the camera for less than 2 years.

So, this is a TOTALLY fault of the Canon company.

They should have done the recall long time ago.

Now, many people are leaving the Canon trade. So they pay it in a good way, or in a bad one. Bad marketing.

Occasional Contributor

Waddizzle, my Camera sometimes powers on (can't take photos), I could obtain shutter count: 4716. When I started searching I found a huge number of angry users with the same problem. It's evident that quality check failed here. I'm extremly careful with my cameras and it still looks brand new.  So Canon should acknowledge to repair free of charge non abused cameras. In USA they are fixing it for around 450u$ with only 6 months warranty. So if it fails again in 8 months we have to spend another 450u$?

I expect no less than 50000 shutter actuations before any failure from such an expensive body. A cheap MP3 player lasted more than this.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

isidroco wrote:

Waddizzle, my Camera sometimes powers on (can't take photos), I could obtain shutter count: 4716. When I started searching I found a huge number of angry users with the same problem. It's evident that quality check failed here. I'm extremly careful with my cameras and it still looks brand new.  So Canon should acknowledge to repair free of charge non abused cameras. In USA they are fixing it for around 450u$ with only 6 months warranty. So if it fails again in 8 months we have to spend another 450u$?

I expect no less than 50000 shutter actuations before any failure from such an expensive body. A cheap MP3 player lasted more than this.

What do you want me to do about it?  How many people do you think bought cameras and had no such issues?  If you don't want get your camera fixed, so be it.  That is your decision to make.  It makes no difference to me, one way or the other.  I already advised you as to what to do if you think there is a manufacturing defect, but it seems you would rather complain.  Good Luck.

New Contributor

"In other words, the path of least resistance, or cost, is going to be getting your current camera repaired."

Waddizzle, this is what I ended up doing. I agree this is the least expesive option at the moment, considering the investment I have into the camera. I just hope that the repair fixed the root cause of the issue and doesnt lead to needing the same repair done every 2 years, with normal (frequent video) use of the camera. 

"Recently, there has been a massive recall by major auto manufacturers for faulty airbags.  Have the auto manufacturers been faulted for the recalls and alleged deaths due to the airbags.  No.  The supplier of the faulty airbag components, not the manufacturer who uses those faulty airbags."

You are proving my point. No, airbag issues were not the auto manufacturers fault, it was the supplier. But, how was this resolved? Recalls and free repairs by the manufacturer, whether the vehicle had a warranty or not. 

"Ranting on a user forum is not the proper "forum" for such complaints."

I could be completely wrong, but I have to believe that once threads like these get large enough someone at Canon notices. 

My goal posting here was to share my expereience with the original poster and other users who stumble across this forum when/if their 70D dies.

Esteemed Contributor

bwolfcale wrote:

"In other words, the path of least resistance, or cost, is going to be getting your current camera repaired."

Waddizzle, this is what I ended up doing. I agree this is the least expesive option at the moment, considering the investment I have into the camera. I just hope that the repair fixed the root cause of the issue and doesnt lead to needing the same repair done every 2 years, with normal (frequent video) use of the camera. 

Your camera is a DSLR, not a video camera.  I have noticed that a high percentage of people claiming there is a manufacturing defect seem to do a lot of video work with their cameras.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Recently, there has been a massive recall by major auto manufacturers for faulty airbags.  Have the auto manufacturers been faulted for the recalls and alleged deaths due to the airbags.  No.  The supplier of the faulty airbag components, not the manufacturer who uses those faulty airbags."

You are proving my point. No, airbag issues were not the auto manufacturers fault, it was the supplier. But, how was this resolved? Recalls and free repairs by the manufacturer, whether the vehicle had a warranty or not. 

No, it doesn't..  In the case of the airbags, the airbag supplier issued the recall and is footing the bill for repairs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could be completely wrong, but I have to believe that once threads like these get large enough someone at Canon notices. 

You should assume that you're completely wrong on this count.

My goal posting here was to share my expereience with the original poster and other users who stumble across this forum when/if their 70D dies.

Esteemed Contributor

bwolfcale wrote:

Auto manufacturers don't do recalls out of an altruistic concern for their customers' welfare. They do it because they're required to do so if the car has a blatant safety problem about which they should have known or if (as in the case of Volkswagen) the car was designed to evade a Federal law.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA