cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D died

carsonart
Apprentice

My 70D that is only 1yr 1/2 old died all of the sudden.  I have only used it lightly and have taken very good care of it.  I tried another battery thinking that may be the probelem.  Even a brand new Canon battery did not turn it on.  Just no juice, nothing.  I sent it to Canon service center, and they sent me an estimate for $224.  I called to ask what the problem was, they said they still dont know, that  was just to take a look and fix the issue if there is one.  If it is something with major damage they will contact me with a different estimate.

It worked perfectly fine one day.  I charged the battery back up, plugged it it, and just never turned back on again.  I haven't even paid off the camera yet on my best buy card, so I have a real problem with Canon charging me anything so soon, and for an obviously lightly used camera.  

Has anyone had a similar issue before?  Is having Canon do this my best option?  I read another post of someone who fixed themselves, but I'm of course leery not knowing exactly wha the problem is.  Plus I have shoots lined up, and need to act fast.

I wish they had a better program to just trade up or something, if I'm spending money anyway.

166 REPLIES 166

Waddizzle, my Camera sometimes powers on (can't take photos), I could obtain shutter count: 4716. When I started searching I found a huge number of angry users with the same problem. It's evident that quality check failed here. I'm extremly careful with my cameras and it still looks brand new.  So Canon should acknowledge to repair free of charge non abused cameras. In USA they are fixing it for around 450u$ with only 6 months warranty. So if it fails again in 8 months we have to spend another 450u$?

I expect no less than 50000 shutter actuations before any failure from such an expensive body. A cheap MP3 player lasted more than this.

@isidroco wrote:

Waddizzle, my Camera sometimes powers on (can't take photos), I could obtain shutter count: 4716. When I started searching I found a huge number of angry users with the same problem. It's evident that quality check failed here. I'm extremly careful with my cameras and it still looks brand new.  So Canon should acknowledge to repair free of charge non abused cameras. In USA they are fixing it for around 450u$ with only 6 months warranty. So if it fails again in 8 months we have to spend another 450u$?

I expect no less than 50000 shutter actuations before any failure from such an expensive body. A cheap MP3 player lasted more than this.

What do you want me to do about it?  How many people do you think bought cameras and had no such issues?  If you don't want get your camera fixed, so be it.  That is your decision to make.  It makes no difference to me, one way or the other.  I already advised you as to what to do if you think there is a manufacturing defect, but it seems you would rather complain.  Good Luck.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"In other words, the path of least resistance, or cost, is going to be getting your current camera repaired."

Waddizzle, this is what I ended up doing. I agree this is the least expesive option at the moment, considering the investment I have into the camera. I just hope that the repair fixed the root cause of the issue and doesnt lead to needing the same repair done every 2 years, with normal (frequent video) use of the camera. 

"Recently, there has been a massive recall by major auto manufacturers for faulty airbags.  Have the auto manufacturers been faulted for the recalls and alleged deaths due to the airbags.  No.  The supplier of the faulty airbag components, not the manufacturer who uses those faulty airbags."

You are proving my point. No, airbag issues were not the auto manufacturers fault, it was the supplier. But, how was this resolved? Recalls and free repairs by the manufacturer, whether the vehicle had a warranty or not. 

"Ranting on a user forum is not the proper "forum" for such complaints."

I could be completely wrong, but I have to believe that once threads like these get large enough someone at Canon notices. 

My goal posting here was to share my expereience with the original poster and other users who stumble across this forum when/if their 70D dies.

@bwolfcale wrote:

"In other words, the path of least resistance, or cost, is going to be getting your current camera repaired."

Waddizzle, this is what I ended up doing. I agree this is the least expesive option at the moment, considering the investment I have into the camera. I just hope that the repair fixed the root cause of the issue and doesnt lead to needing the same repair done every 2 years, with normal (frequent video) use of the camera. 

Your camera is a DSLR, not a video camera.  I have noticed that a high percentage of people claiming there is a manufacturing defect seem to do a lot of video work with their cameras.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Recently, there has been a massive recall by major auto manufacturers for faulty airbags.  Have the auto manufacturers been faulted for the recalls and alleged deaths due to the airbags.  No.  The supplier of the faulty airbag components, not the manufacturer who uses those faulty airbags."

You are proving my point. No, airbag issues were not the auto manufacturers fault, it was the supplier. But, how was this resolved? Recalls and free repairs by the manufacturer, whether the vehicle had a warranty or not. 

No, it doesn't..  In the case of the airbags, the airbag supplier issued the recall and is footing the bill for repairs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could be completely wrong, but I have to believe that once threads like these get large enough someone at Canon notices. 

You should assume that you're completely wrong on this count.

My goal posting here was to share my expereience with the original poster and other users who stumble across this forum when/if their 70D dies.

"Your camera is a DSLR, not a video camera".

This is your agument???

After selling specifically this model as the best DSLR capturing video (the new focus issues with the new STM lenses, etc). This camera, my friend, was sold specially as a video camera, and was promoted in a kit with an STM lens instead of the popular USM because it imitates the autofocus of the old camcorders.

Further more, if this DSLR was not made for recording video, they should advise somewhere in the manual book. But there is nothing at all.

And I tell one more thing, the problem of overheating is not recording video... Really, the problem is working with servo autofocus and using the LCD screen as monitor, even when you are taking pictures (Photo mode). Because it make the "engine" work al the time. That is what causes overheating.

I ran into the same problem with my 70D. I do record some videos. It is occasional use for family purpose. It gave me few Err 80 messages while taking pics and now died completely. Got the same $450 estimate from Canon. What are out options now? Is Canon going to do a recall for this. Canon known to be a great company.

@bwolfcale wrote:

Auto manufacturers don't do recalls out of an altruistic concern for their customers' welfare. They do it because they're required to do so if the car has a blatant safety problem about which they should have known or if (as in the case of Volkswagen) the car was designed to evade a Federal law.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@bwolfcale wrote:

Auto manufacturers don't do recalls out of an altruistic concern for their customers' welfare. They do it because they're required to do so if the car has a blatant safety problem about which they should have known or if (as in the case of Volkswagen) the car was designed to evade a Federal law.

I agree.  Ranting on a user forum doesn't help the matter.  No manufacturer issues a recall for altruistic reasons.  They do it because the government ordered them to do it, or to avoid, or minimize, government fines.

"I agree.  Ranting on a user forum doesn't help the matter.  No manufacturer issues a recall for altruistic reasons.  They do it because the government ordered them to do it, or to avoid, or minimize, government fines."

They should do it for their own benefit, customers investigates before purchasing an expensive camera. This threads and FB groups will damage their reputation.

"Your camera is a DSLR, not a video camera.  I have noticed that a high percentage of people claiming there is a manufacturing defect seem to do a lot of video work with their cameras."

This camera was marketed specially for it's video capabilities. I already used S1,S2,SX10,T3i for photograph/videos. They should warn or else disable video/liveview completely if it fails using LV for a long period (never more than 2 hours in my case).

@isidroco wrote:

"I agree.  Ranting on a user forum doesn't help the matter.  No manufacturer issues a recall for altruistic reasons.  They do it because the government ordered them to do it, or to avoid, or minimize, government fines."

They should do it for their own benefit, customers investigates before purchasing an expensive camera. This threads and FB groups will damage their reputation.

"Your camera is a DSLR, not a video camera.  I have noticed that a high percentage of people claiming there is a manufacturing defect seem to do a lot of video work with their cameras."

This camera was marketed specially for it's video capabilities. I already used S1,S2,SX10,T3i for photograph/videos. They should warn or else disable video/liveview completely if it fails using LV for a long period (never more than 2 hours in my case).

Companies operate for one reason, PROFIT.  People with your type of complaint, while numerous, are a very small percentage of all users.  If a product has a 1-2% failure rate during the warranty period, that product is considered a success.

As far as issue a warning about the dangers of the cameras overheating when shooting video, I suggest you read the Instruction Manual.  The camera will even display an icon on the LCD screen when heat buildup is becoming a problem.

You seem to have the idea that I am defending Canon.  I am not.  I have been trying in vain to help you, to give a little dose of reality.  Your emotions have clouded your judgement.  I wish all the best with getting your camera checked out and repaired.

Announcements