cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 70D Bright light stripe on photos

MrDave
Apprentice

Hi all..

hopefully someone can shed light on this no pun intended. My camera started showing this bright stripe on photos yesterday in the middle of shooting. It doesnt seem to do it in Auto mode only in manual. I was taking pics of a moth against a white wall...any ideas? Perhaps I damaged the sensor?IMG_0866.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

Looks like a Shutter failure. Send it into Canon for repair. 

Ugh.. was afraid it was something serious.. but why does it not do it in "Auto" mode?

@MrDave wrote:

Ugh.. was afraid it was something serious.. but why does it not do it in "Auto" mode?

Perhaps because of the difference in shutter speeds.

From what I've heard shutter replacement isn't too ridiculously priced. 

MrDave
Apprentice

I seem to be getting numbers around $300....so now debating should I put that towards and upgrade 80D or 7DMKII..something to ponder...the 70D has served me very well for 4 years exactly today...

@MrDave wrote:

I seem to be getting numbers around $300....so now debating should I put that towards and upgrade 80D or 7DMKII..something to ponder...the 70D has served me very well for 4 years exactly today...

If that is the asking price from Canon, i say go for it.  Ask them to clean the camera and update the firmware, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Dayala
Apprentice
I have the same camera same issue same timeline. Did you find out anything on it yet?

@Dayala wrote:
I have the same camera same issue same timeline. Did you find out anything on it yet?

It's a Shutter failure. Send it into Canon for repair. 

"It's a Shutter failure. Send it into Canon for repair."

It isn't the end of the world.  It's a shutter, easy fix for Canon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements