cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6d wireless flash

daniyal
Apprentice

I have a canon 6d and i want to use it wirelessly with my yongnuo speedlite YN560-III ..i donot have a trigger and want to use my wifi as a means for triggering my flash,is it possible??

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority
Sorry but no. You can use wifi and your phone to activate the shutter and take a picture, but to get a flash you need to have a speed lite or a radio trigger in the shoe.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Since you don't have an E-TTL capable flash, the triggers are less expensive.  You can find low-end triggers for less than $30 for a pair. On the high-end of things, Pocket Wizard Plus III's are around $150 each.

I don't have experience with these -- I have Canon 600EX-RT flashes and radio trigger.  But from what I've come to understand, if you inspect a Pocket Wizard you can see they use a fairly good durable build quality and they're highly reliable. They can take a bit of abuse and not break.  As the price tag goes down, the build quality goes down.  I might not want to abuse a pair of $30 triggers they way the expensive triggers can be abused.  Higher end triggers often support multiple "groups" so if you have a lot of lights you can independently choose which lights should fire without having to walk over to the lights to enable/disables the modules -- you just select the groups that you want to fire.

Also... there are a lot of things that have Pocket Wizard integration because of their popularity.  My Sekonic light meter, for example, has a Pocket Wizard radio trigger built-in so that I can meter a subject using incident lighting and force the flashes to fire so it can meter the lighting as measured at the subject position.  Some studio lights have pocket wizard triggers built-in.  

To use wireless triggers you typically need two... a transmitter and a receiver.  But some of are "transceivers" (meaning you have two identical modules that can either transmit or receive -- not one module dedicated to transmitting and another module dedicated to receiving.)  One attaches to the hot-shoe on the camera.  The other attaches either to the foot of the flash, or uses a sync cord to plug into the socket on the flash.

There are optical triggers too... and these are usually less expsnive.  BUT... optical requires line of sight.  Radio triggers don't require line of sight which gives them a tremendous advantage.   

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements