Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon 6d felt while taking a timelapse, camera isn't responding anymore

Hello Guys! 

An unexpected wind burst threw  my canon 6d while doing a timelapse =( Fortunately the lens dind't get a major scratch but I cannot say the same regarding the camera.. 

Right after picking it up, the camera showed an "err" message with no number after it. Then after a couple of rebootings, it started showing an empty battery sign and it never turned on again.. I've tried with different batteries which I know are fully charged, so that's not the problem. 

One strange thing I noticed is that the mirror won't come down and the sensor is hidden behind the blades. Is it possible that it went into a sort of "safe lock" state? 

My best guest is that the mirror's mechanical system is locked, taking too much power while trying to move it so the camera thinks that it runned out of battery.

I'm taking the camera to a canon service anyway, but I'm out of the city now so I'll have to wait around a week for it. I would like to know if you have any hints for diagnosing it beforehand, or if anyone experienced any similar problem. I'm an electrical engineer so I have skills for going a bit further in case there's a good reason for it.

Thanks in advance!  Wish me luck! 

Samuel

Super Contributor

Re: Canon 6d felt while taking a timelapse, camera isn't responding anymore

There is no "safe lock" mode, it sounds as though something has broken or jammed.

You could try just pulling the mirror down gently with the tip of your fingernail in the faint hope that it might have just got stuck in the up position but I am inclined to think a repair is necessary.

New Contributor

Hi Ray, 

Thanks for your reply. I tried already moving the mirror as you said but it gets back to the upper position. I didn't go all the way through to avoid touching the mirror itself, but maybe that could "unjam" the mirror, I'll see if that helps later. 

Cheers,

VIP

The 6D is not the most robustly built camera.  A fall can and probably did damage internally.  Call Canon support to set up a repair.  It is really the only way to go.  Don't mess around inside and make things worse.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Highlighted
VIP

"Fortunately the lens dind't get a major scratch..."

I would also send the lens in, too.  Smiley Sad

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer. I finally hand it in to canon a couple of days ago. I'm waiting for the diagnosis. Regarding the lens, I could test it properly with a friend's 6d and it works perfectly =) It just lowered its value for a resalling, but anyways it works.

I'll let you know what's the final diagnosis. Thanks for your replys!