cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D

ARB
Contributor

Recently purchased a used Canon 6D and have found that it is discharging batteries (new Canon make) at an alarming rate. Put a fully charged battery into it and left the caera for a few days then went to use it but couldn't switch it on as the battery was dead. I have checked that Wifi and GPS are both switched off. Both batteries are in good condition and maintain a charge. Anybody else experienced this or any suggestions as to how to rectify this 

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Get a refund.  Somehow, I do not think resetting the camera will help. Get a full refund.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, it may come to that. It is still under guarantee

@ARB wrote:

Thanks, it may come to that. It is still under guarantee

Good.  Bear in mind that a "guarantee" is not a warranty.  If it does not work, then get a refund.  If that unit is a headache now, it will be a headache in the future.  Get a refund. 

I have found the best place for "used" Canon gear is the Canon Online Refurbished Store.  I do not know where the refurbished gear comes from, but I would suspect that some of it is customer returns.  Everything is supposedly tested and checked by hand, and comes with a one year warranty, just like the new stuff.  Look for a link to the Canon Online Store in the lower right corner of most pages in the Forum.

Thanks again for your input. Appreciate it

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Activate your 'Menu', navigate to the Yellow Wrench tab #4.  Pick "Battery Info."

What does it say?

You should see the number of shots taken since the battery was last fully charged. 

You should also see a simple graph for "recharge performance".  That tells you how much of a charge the battery is able to maintain (as batteries age, they wont hold as much).

Are you using a genuine Canon battery or 3rd party battery?

Do you have any 3rd party devices connected to your camera?   

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks, I have already checked all the things that you have mentioned. The batteries are genuine Can on and there is no indication that either of them are at fault. No other device is connected to the camera

If you've checked the list... 

Battery is genuine Canon and the camera's "battery info" page reports the battery is in good health, and...

There are no third party devices attached to the camera that may be draining down the power when the camera is powered off (the power switch is really a software swtich... the camera isn't actually deprived of power... it's just in an extended 'sleep' state when it's off and it is possible for devices to drain it), and...

The GPS is powered off in the menu system.  That's an important one.  Since it can take several minutes for GPS to get a position fix, Canon allows the GPS to be active even when the camera is off.  The only way to turn it off on a 6D is by navigating to the menu page and disabling it via the menu (switching off the camera doesn't switch off the GPS).  Newer cameras models now have an extra option for the GPS including a mode that does switch the GPS off when the camera is powered off.  When the 6D was a new camera on the market there were many complaints of the GPS draining down the battery power for cameras that were powered off (becauase the GPS was still on.)

Barring all of that... 

I would give the camera a complete factory reset and if that doesn't fix it, then you've got a defective camera that needs service.  As you've just purchased it, the simpler choice is to just return it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

The GPS is powered off in the menu system.  That's an important one.  Since it can take several minutes for GPS to get a position fix, Canon allows the GPS to be active even when the camera is off.  The only way to turn it off on a 6D is by navigating to the menu page and disabling it via the menu (switching off the camera doesn't switch off the GPS).  .

Similarly, the Wi-Fi must be disabled in the menu system by putting the camera into USB communication mode.

Thanks again, GPS and Wifi are not on. Fault seems to lie elsewhere. Think the next step will be to contact the supplier. 

Announcements