cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D images way too dark in TV mode

SpartanDad
Contributor

When taking lacrosse and football photos, I prefer to set Canon 6D to TV mode using 1/500 or 1/640 with appropriate ISO for time of day or night. In the Spring in late afternoon / early evening games.  After having no problems for say first 100 photos, the camera in TV mode starts setting aperture too high (say 9, when just before was 4.5 in identical light), thereby creating photos that are way too dark. I shoot with sun behind me, so the natural light is pretty consistent, while the aperture selected automatically in TV mode jumps around wildly.

To avoid missing too many shots when this occurs, I move to Manual mode, keep speed at 1/500 or 1/640, and set aperture to correct number. I'd prefer camera do the work while I zoom in and out. and as the sun begins to set. 

I never had this problem with other Canon DSLR's. Also, the camera behaves once it's totally dark and I'm depending on stadium lights.

Am using Canon 6D with Canon 70-200 mm EF IS II USM.

Suggestions?

23 REPLIES 23

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You may have the ISO set to a value where Tv mode is out of adjustment.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

damorrow
Apprentice

Damorrow,

Go to main menu, yellow wrench and CLEAR ALL CAMER SETTINGS, then try it again. Mine did the same thing till I did this and now it takes the best photos it ever did.

@damorrowwrote:

Damorrow,

Go to main menu, yellow wrench and CLEAR ALL CAMER SETTINGS, then try it again. Mine did the same thing till I did this and now it takes the best photos it ever did.

Don't be downhearted if nobody's still listening. You're the first to post to this thread in more than four years.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

damorrow
Apprentice

Turn on Camera, go to menus. Select Orange menue, go to "clear all custom Func (C.Fn) and try it again. I called Canon Tech regarding this same issue and Tv mode works fine now and I didn't think there were any custom functions set in the camera but I think these cameras come set this way from the factory. Couldn't use Tv mode at all, all photos way too dark, now they are perfect. Good Luck.  New Canon 6D MK II

Announcements