cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D flash sync speed

Samhark
Apprentice
I know for a fact that my Canon 6D has a limitation to sync flash speed at 180 maximum, but when I try to adjust the shutter speed to match that the camera allows me to set it at 160 or 200 only!
Anyone knows how to set the shutter speed at 180?
14 REPLIES 14

DeaqonJames
Apprentice

Menu>scroll through to the last camera on the right just before the star and click that to get to C.Fn I:Exposure. You will see Exposure Level Incriments and change from 1/3 stop to 1/2 stop and that will let you get to 180. 

I think it's jacked up that Canon did that and had to set the max strobe sync speed so slow. 😞 

@DeaqonJames wrote:

Menu>scroll through to the last camera on the right just before the star and click that to get to C.Fn I:Exposure. You will see Exposure Level Incriments and change from 1/3 stop to 1/2 stop and that will let you get to 180. 

I think it's jacked up that Canon did that and set the max sync speed so slow. 😞 

Am I missing something here? The manufacturer doesn't "set" the maximum sync speed. It's an inevitable consequence of the maximum speed at which the shutter curtains are able to travel. You can say that Canon should have used a faster shutter on the 6D, but their response would probably be that doing so would have increased the price of the camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Am I missing something here? The manufacturer doesn't "set" the maximum sync speed. It's an inevitable consequence of the maximum speed at which the shutter curtains are able to travel. You can say that Canon should have used a faster shutter on the 6D, but their response would probably be that doing so would have increased the price of the camera.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
================================================================================================

Maybe I'm missing something. The shutter can travel up to 1/4000th on the 6D.

Faster synch speed raiding the price? Can't imagine. My 600D had a max flash synch of 1/200th.

Plus.....you guy sknow this thread is 2 years old?

@Bryston3bsst wrote:

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
================================================================================================

Maybe I'm missing something. The shutter can travel up to 1/4000th on the 6D.

Faster synch speed raiding the price? Can't imagine. My 600D had a max flash synch of 1/200th.

Plus.....you guy sknow this thread is 2 years old?

A focal plane shutter achieves its high speeds by having the second curtain start to close before the first curtain has finished opening. So for all the speeds above a certain value, what the sensor sees is a slit travelling across its surface. The higher the shutter speed, the narrower the slit. So for those speeds, there's no time at which the flash can fire and light all of what the sensor sees. The maximum sync speed is the maximum speed at which the second curtain doesn't start to close until after the flash has had time to fire with the first curtain fully open. On the 6D that speed is, I believe, 1/180 sec

Some high-end external flash units are able to fire a series of flashes in rapid succession while the slit travels across the sensor, thereby allowing flash to be used with some degree of efficacy at speeds above the maximum sync speed. But that's not what was being referred to in this thread.

My first film Nikon had, IIRC, a maximum sync speed of 1/30 sec. So obviously a lot of progress has been made, and I find it a bit hard to feel sorry for those complaining about the sync speed of the 6D.  Smiley Wink

And the probable reason that your 600D had a higher sync speed than the 6D is that it was a crop frame camera, so the shutter curtains didn't have as far to travel.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The thread was about the sync speed with strobes or am I mistaken? For the 6D the max sync speed with strobes is 180. The 5 series I believe is 200. I understood from a Canon rep that it had something to do with the size of the sensor???? I could have been mistaken as I had a Playboy Playmate in front of me at the moment. 🙂 

While I came to the realization that the thread was 2 years old, I didn't see where the answer to the original question had actually been provided, then again I could be mistaken yet again. 

My apology for any confusion. 

Announcements