cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D ViewFinder Spot

sakibnaz
Contributor

Hi All.

I suddenly observed a cracked type spot while I am watching through ViewFinder on my 6D. I have attached a picture from my iPhone and the spot is red marked. The spot looks very abnormal ... looks something like a spider 😞

IMG_3729.JPG

I opened the Lens and give a swipe the mirror glass with microfiber cloth but still the spot is there.

The picture is Ok as its a problem of ViewFInder only.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

20 REPLIES 20

diverhank
Authority

Looks like a piece of lint stuck to the mirror or focus screen.  I'd would get a rocket blower and blow it out of there (remove the lens and squirt air onto the mirror and surrounding area.

Whatever you do, don't physically touch the focus screen...it's incredibly fragile and will scractch easily, even with a blower's brush.  I did this to my beloved 5D Mark III.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

Looks like a piece of lint stuck to the mirror or focus screen.  I'd would get a rocket blower and blow it out of there (remove the lens and squirt air onto the mirror and surrounding area.

Whatever you do, don't physically touch the focus screen...it's incredibly fragile and will scractch easily, even with a blower's brush.  I did this to my beloved 5D Mark III.

The mirror is just as fragile and delicate as the focusing screen.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Best not to touch anything inside the mirror box. As suggested, use a rocket blower. Do not use canned air. Its a nuisnce, but as you obersrved, its not in the image path. Don't do more harm than good. If rocket blower won't remove it send it to a repair facility for cleaning or just live with it.

I send my camera in once a year for a cleaning and calibration.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Best not to touch anything inside the mirror box. As suggested, use a rocket blower. Do not use canned air. Its a nuisnce, but as you obersrved, its not in the image path. Don't do more harm than good. If rocket blower won't remove it send it to a repair facility for cleaning or just live with it.

I send my camera in once a year for a cleaning and calibration.

I strongly second John's suggestion, probably because it's pretty much what I do. I try to get every camera and every lens through the Jamesburg shop every year or two. They come back looking and performing like new.  If you have enough Canon equipment to qualify, join CPS as a Gold member; it gives you a break on the price of such maintenance.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

OP says his images are fine. He only see it through viewfinder.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Peter
Authority
Authority
Yes. Looks like fungus above the focus screen.

Thanks all.

Yes its fungus 😞

I'll change my  focus screen of 6D.

Reagrds.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
If it's in camera body you should have it checked by service. It might be elsewhere.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements