Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Canon 6D Mark II will not trigger the flash when remotely connected and in Live View

I am remotely controlling a Canon 6D II from my iPhone remote app (version 2.2.10.6 from Canon).

The camera is in Manual mode with a flash on the hot shoe.

When Not in Live View the flash will trigger when I click the shutter control on the iPhone app.

When in Live View the camera will take a pcture but will Not trigger the flash.

How do I operate in remote Live View and still use the flash?

Thanks,

AW

Honored Contributor

Re: Canon 6D Mark II will not trigger the flash when remotely connected and in Live View

Alan-Major wrote:

I am remotely controlling a Canon 6D II from my iPhone remote app (version 2.2.10.6 from Canon).

The camera is in Manual mode with a flash on the hot shoe.

When Not in Live View the flash will trigger when I click the shutter control on the iPhone app.

When in Live View the camera will take a pcture but will Not trigger the flash.

How do I operate in remote Live View and still use the flash?

Thanks,

AW

Do you have “Exp.Sim”, exposure simulation, enabled for Live View?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor

Re: Canon 6D Mark II will not trigger the flash when remotely connected and in Live View

I did some additional testing and found that the flash does not trigger at all when in Live View mode - even wihout using my iPhone remote app.

I am using a Canon 6D II in Manual mode with a YN560 IV flash.

When in Live View I do see Exp.SiM display on the LCD.

When I exit Live Mode the flash works as expected.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Go into the menus and turn off “Exp.Sim”.  It could also be an issue with your non-Canon flash.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Alan-Major, 

As others have suggested there may be issues with the third party flash properly communicating with your camera.  I would recommend trying a first party Canon EX Series Speedlite on your camera to properly troubleshoot.  Until the third party flash is taken out of the mix it would be difficult to troubleshoot the issue effectively. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.