cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Mark II using external monitor for Liveview

dchamb
Apprentice

Is it possible to connect a Canon 6D Mark II to a high res monitor via HDMI for the purposes of displaying live view while having the camera connected to the computer for camera control functions via USB? It seems as soon as the computer (Windows 10) boots up to a Windows home screen, the monitor starts to display a symbol of a computer and won't display live view.

I want to be able to show content live while letting the computer take the photos. 

Thanks!

Dale

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dchamb wrote:

Is it possible to connect a Canon 6D Mark II to a high res monitor via HDMI for the purposes of displaying live view while having the camera connected to the computer for camera control functions via USB? It seems as soon as the computer (Windows 10) boots up to a Windows home screen, the monitor starts to display a symbol of a computer and won't display live view.

I want to be able to show content live while letting the computer take the photos. 

Thanks!

Dale

You will either get a video signal sent to the LCD display, or as an output to the HDMI port, but not both at the same time.

Whenever you connect your camera to PC, via USB, you get that computer symbol on the LCD.  When you plug into the HDMI port, the video to the LCD get rerouted to the HDMI port.  That is why you see the computer icon on your HDMI monitor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dchamb wrote:

Thanks!

Dale

You will either get a video signal sent to the LCD display, or as an output to the HDMI port, but not both at the same time.

Whenever you connect your camera to PC, via USB, you get that computer symbol on the LCD.  When you plug into the HDMI port, the video to the LCD get rerouted to the HDMI port.  That is why you see the computer icon on your HDMI monitor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks Waddizzle,

So you have confirmed what I suspected. I won't be able to use the HDMI as long as the USB is connected to the computer. The only way to get the HDMI to act as an alternative display to the LCD is to have nothing plugged into the USB.

Dale

Have you ever heard of wireless transmitting that would allow me to go wireless to an LCD TV?

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Mini-HDMI by wire and it's fine but I'd like to snip the cord so I don't have to drag the monitor everywhere determined by the length of the HDMI.

Thinking of a video transmitter from a port on camera to a receiver on a TV.

Announcements