cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D Autofocus Not Working

candaceperry
Apprentice

Hello! My brand-new Canon 6D is having trouble with the autofocus. Thought maybe it was a lense, but I have tried 3 different lenses and all of them are having the issue, so I've been shooting manual focus which is difficult. I think maybe I just hit a switch or toggled a setting somewhere that changed the autofocus setting, as it was working perfectly fine and then when I was fiddling with the ISO during a shoot, all of a sudden it stopped working. I've tried researching and can't find an answer - guessing it's something really simple. Can anyone help? Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You can go into your Menu and Clear All Camera Settings. This isn't for the 6D, but yours will be similar.

Clear camera settings and custom settings.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you, I will try this...hope it fixes the issue!! 🙂

ezpop
Rising Star

Have you tried the AF-on button ?

Press it when the lens is set to AF instead of MF.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"You can go into your Menu and Clear All Camera Settings. ... Clear camera settings and custom settings."

Do this first.  If it doesn't fix the 6D and you are certain the lens is on AF, not MF, return it. (Switch on the left side of the lens.)

Put the camera in "P".  Try again.  If it still doesn't AF, return it or call Canon Support, today.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

rcsphotos
Apprentice

I know this is an old post but I found it because I just bought a Canon 6D and the autofocus wasn't working.  I found this article.

I had cleared all settings and even custom functions but I guess they really didn't clear. 

I found the problem to be  Custom Function III.

https://my.canon/en/support/8201706400

I cleared the settings in this menu and it works!

c6aa0e89bb074c59b1a996455a254933_G0145647.gif

"I had cleared all settings and even custom functions ..."

There are two places to do the reset.  Clear all settings and Clear all custom settings.  That will return the camera back to factory. Clear all settings doesn't touch custom settings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I did all those.  Didn't work.

@rcsphotos wrote:

I know this is an old post but I found it because I just bought a Canon 6D and the autofocus wasn't working.  I found this article.

I had cleared all settings and even custom functions but I guess they really didn't clear. 

I found the problem to be  Custom Function III.

https://my.canon/en/support/8201706400

I cleared the settings in this menu and it works!

c6aa0e89bb074c59b1a996455a254933_G0145647.gif

This screen IS the Custom Functions menu.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements