cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5d mark III does not recognize the Canon Speedlite 580EX II is connected

PabloZee
Contributor

When I choose External Speedlite control/ Flash function settings on the 5D.

I get a dialogue that says

This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off.

Flash is on. If I take a photo, flash fire's. Pictures are ALWAYS over exposed when using the flash.

Does the 580EX II work with the 5D Mark III?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

As this is a Canon known problem with the Canon 580EX II flash - you would think Canon would do everything to ensure the integrity of their eqipment. 

I have a friend with Nikon equipment, and the store went out of their way to fix his equipment. 

From as far back as I can remember Canon was a respected brand. I can't say I would recomend them to anyone in future. Certainly not without telling them what happened to me.

Canon has to realize the customer is paying top dollar because we trust they are putting out good equipment that works and does what they say it will.

Pablo

View solution in original post

"I can't say I would recomend them to anyone in future."

Maybe this is a problem with the 580 EX II known or not to Canon at the time of release. Who knows?  I can without doubt say Canon is so far ahead of the other pro photo equipment maker, in customer service, it isn't even a consideration.

Believe me, my photographic friend, you are with the best CS company in the photographic industry.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Good to hear PabloZee 🙂

We wish to know about your experiences installing/using Magic Lantern. Particularly, how practical it is in terms of sharply reduced footage time, and other issues you have encountered. Thanks, 

Arden

jasontoddphoto
Apprentice

Try taking some rubbing alchohol to the connections of the flash and the hotshoe mount. That did the trick for me.

Jason Todd

jasontoddphoto.com

Announcements