cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5DS and 24-70mm f4L IS Lens

JoeDavid
Enthusiast

I took some additional  test shots with the 5DS and 24-70mm lens on a tripod with IS turned off.  I took essentially the same shot at f8, 11, 16, and 22 in order to evaluate the sharpness of the overall image.  Here is a down-sampled version of the scene:

http://www.throughjoeslens.com/Temp/TheScene.jpg

and here is a resulting 100% crop from each image:

http://www.throughjoeslens.com/Temp/Crop100.jpg

Make sure to view them at 100%.  Web browsers tend to scale them down to fit the current window size.

The raw files were processed with the exact same settings in Photoshop.  Notice the progressive softening of the 100% crop images with the most noticeable hit to the sharpness happening from f16 to f22.  I believe that I read that the Diffraction Limit Aperture of the 5DS is f6.7 due to the pixel size (similar to the 7DM2).  Plus the lens itself may perform better at specific apertures.  I did the test with several runs and two different scenes to make sure the results were repeatable.  I used Live View to focus in the area of the scene where the 100% crop was taken from and the 2 second timer to trigger the shots.  Basically, I minimized the possibility of camera shake with every trick I know.  Since the shutter speeds got progressively slower, ignore some of the softness in the foliage since there was a slight breeze.  The rocks don't lie though.  They definitely weren't moving.  To be honest, with 50MP, the f8, f11, and f16 images could be printed at 20x30" and you probably wouldn't notice a difference other than the depth-of-field difference and that's only in the extreme foreground.  I think softness of the one taken at f22 would be visible if compared at a very close distance to one of the others.  I plan on repeating a similar test with Canon's 17mm TSE lens to get a better handle on how much of this softening is diffraction and how much was the lens. 

Currenly using R5 and R7 mostly plus a variety of Canon RF and EF lens...
10 REPLIES 10

Geeez!  Smiley Frustrated

"Sorry, I missed the fact you used the 24-70mm f4L.  I assumed it was the 24-70mm f2.8L II.  I don't really understand why you would use it, if you do have the f2.8 version?  But whatever.

You certainly carry a lot of stuff.  Way more than I would or do.  My unsolisted thoughts;

11-24mm f4L

24-70mm f2.8L II

70-200mm f2.8L II

11-400mm f4.5-5.6L II  100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II

IS is of little value on the 11-24mm so, to me, that is no concern.

You have a lot of great gear there! Smiley Very Happy"

Hallmark was full of "proof readers" are you sure you aren't one of them?  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements