cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D mark III vs 6D Mark II

raksmax
Apprentice
I am opting to buy a Canon full frame DSLR. As 6D Mark II recently got released i was looking for a solution to help me buy between the two. Im currently working on Fashion and wedding photography.
Waiting for the replies.
thanx in advance!!
19 REPLIES 19

Beware of marketing departments.

Decades ago, we used to buy new things to replace our current stuff because it broke.  Over the last couple of decades, marketing departments have worked very hard to convince people to buy replacement stuff because your current stuff is "obsolete", despite the fact that your current stuff works just fine.  Case in point: smart phones.

People are hooked on buying the latest smart phone.  People love to lease cars, instead outright buying one, so that they can always have the snob appeal of having the latest and greatest.  Listen to Admiral Akbar, "It's a trap!"

I am satisfied with my cameras, despite the fact that they are not the latest: M3, T5, 6D, 1D Mark IV.  I have bought and given away a pair of 80Ds and 7D2s to family members.  I loved them, and so do they.  But, I am happy with my current kit.

I have two big body cameras, and a two small body cameras, and GREAT glass.  That is perfect, for me, until one of the camera bodies dies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Beware of marketing departments.

Decades ago, we used to buy new things to replace our current stuff because it broke.  Over the last couple of decades, marketing departments have worked very hard to convince people to buy replacement stuff because your current stuff is "obsolete", despite the fact that your current stuff works just fine.  Case in point: smart phones.

People are hooked on buying the latest smart phone.  People love to lease cars, instead outright buying one, so that they can always have the snob appeal of having the latest and greatest.  Listen to Admiral Akbar, "It's a trap!"

I am satisfied with my cameras, despite the fact that they are not the latest: M3, T5, 6D, 1D Mark IV.  I have bought and given away a pair of 80Ds and 7D2s to family members.  I loved them, and so do they.  But, I am happy with my current kit.

I have two big body cameras, and a two small body cameras, and GREAT glass.  That is perfect, for me, until one of the camera bodies dies.

I agree with a lot of what you say. Your examples regarding smartphones and the leasing of cars are great points. My phone is now 3 years old. I'll likely keep it until it ceases to function. And I would never lease a vehicle as it would be too costly and impractical for our circumstances,  with the BS "upfront" fees and the yearly mileage caps and their per mile "overages."  We keep our cars around 10 years on average and pay them off in 5 years or less. 

However, I tend to view cameras and photography as hobbies (pros would view it differently, of course). But as a hobby, I see nothing wrong with buying a new camera that might appeal to you, even if you don't "need" it. As long as one isn't impacted financially by the purchase, what the heck, right? 

"What the heck," is right.  

Why else do you think I have four bodies?  So, that I can cover my shooting scenarios with just enough gear, and not too much gear.  Got camera bags for every scenario, too.  Uhh.  Tripods, too, from  50+ pound hi-hat, to 70 pound heavy duty, all weather carbon fiber.

What is my favorite kit?  The T5 and 1D Mark IV are equal when it comes to noise, so choosing between them is a matter of how much size and weight I want to carry, which depends upon which bag I want to carry, which depends upon which lenses i want to carry, which depends, of course, what it is I want to photograph, except, of course, if i do not know.

Whew.  But, that is reality when it comes to deciding what to carry.  I carry a camera, usually two, almost everywhere i go.  That means i have no idea what I might shoot.  I will always carry a super wide angle lens, which means the EF 16-35mm.

I used to carry the EF 24-105mm f/4L until I bought the 16-35 and an EF 70-200mm "L" lens.  I will carry either the 6D or the 1D Mark IV, mounted on their camera bodies.  That is what I might carry.  I rarely carry more than two bodies and lenses in the field.

If I need more than the two lenses, then i go back to the "mobile base" station kit, where depending upon the shooting scenario, I may carry up to a total of four lenses: 16-35mm, 70=200mm, and 50mm f/1.4, and either my 100mm Cacro, or my EF 100-400mm low light fix.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...I tend to view cameras and photography as hobbies (pros would view it differently, of course)."

As a hobby which it is for the vast majority of people, there are no rational rules.  I decided to 'hobby' around with lenses after I retired.  It has become a problem.  An addiction if you will and I am trying to wean myself off.

As to the pro, you buy as justified.  If a new model comes out that advances your ability to compete, you buy it.  No matter if it is a year later, a month or a week later.  You buy it.  

Even for hobbyists, the older models become obsolete.  New models have many more features and better everything.  Nobody would advise a person to stay with a 1D in favor of a 1D Mk II for an extreme example.  You decide how much upgrade is what you deem 'a buy'?

For the limited, very selected, photography jobs I do now, my 1Ds MkIII and Mk IV do everything I need.  Still that 1Dx Mk II is calling !

No justification but it is calling. Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You know, I will say there are a lot of folks, one in particular here on the forum, that believes once a new model comes out the old ones stop functioning. Or, even when they upgrade or change formats.  When the truth is, they still work as well as they ever did and why you were so happy when you first got it.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

You know, I will say there are a lot of folks, one in particular here on the forum, that believes once a new model comes out the old ones stop functioning. Or, even when they upgrade or change formats.  When the truth is, they still work as well as they ever did and why you were so happy when you first got it.

I don't think I'm the guy Ernie's referring to, and I'm still very happy with my 3-year-old 5D3. But I have happened to notice that it lacks a few features and controls found on my wife's 7D2. So in the unlikely event that I were to buy yet another camera at my advanced age, I guess it would be a 5D4.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...in the unlikely event that I were to buy yet another camera at my advanced age, ..."

Are we too old to buy a new camera?  I have been pondering that same question. That 1Dx or, now, 1Dx Mk II keeps "calling to me".

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...in the unlikely event that I were to buy yet another camera at my advanced age, ..."

Are we too old to buy a new camera?  I have been pondering that same question. That 1Dx or, now, 1Dx Mk II keeps "calling to me".

The 5D4 does the same thing to me now and then. I'm starting to wonder if the word "conspiracy" is too strong.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Smiley Very Happy It's only money!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I say no. In fact, I believe that the older one gets, the more important it becomes to always have something to look forward to in life, to have interests and pursuits that excite you. As the saying goes, you can't take it with you, so enjoy it here and now. Don't think for a second you're too old for a new camera. Why deny yourself the enjoyment of a new camera when you have spent a lifetime developing your skills. As long as you have all (or at least most) of your marbles, I say go for it and enjoy! 

Announcements