Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Canon 5D Mark IV - Bracketing while using Intervalometer

Can you simultaneously use exposure bracketing while using the intervalometer on the Canon 5D Mark IV?  I will be photographing the total solar eclipse next month.  I want to set up interval shots (every 2-3 minutes) and bracket the exposures on each one.

Respected Contributor

Re: Canon 5D Mark IV - Bracketing while using Intervalometer

Why bracket? You can get exact exposure values ahead of time.

Occasional Contributor

Most experienced eclipse photographers recommend bracketing since the exposure is changing frofm first contact to totality. 

Respected Contributor

I think you will have to buy one and try it. Since it seems to be simply a relay that closes the shutter contact, it should do whatever happens when you press the shutter button.

Here is where a cheap chinese copy might do better than the Canon version.

Occasional Contributor

I actually have a TC-80N3 but I have not tried it with the 5D Mk IV yet.

Respected Contributor

Try and report back, you can add something useful to the internet that google cannot find yet! 8^)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Will do - thanks!

New Contributor

Here's how to do it ...

There are three settings that matter:

- Interval timer: I'm planning to shoot a bracket once per minute during the partial phases, so I'm setting the interval at 00:01:00, and the number of shots at 00 (unlimited).

- AEB: during the partial phase, I think I'll go with only three shots per bracket, spaced two stops apart.

- Self-Timer: this is the key. Instead of setting the drive to, say, high-speed continuous, you must set drive mode to 2-second self-timer.

I'm saving all my partial settings in C-1 (total eclipse settings are going into C-2).

The self-timer acts as an automatic trigger to start the bracket sequence. You will hear the self-timer warning beeps for two seconds, then the bracket will fire. This process will repeat every [interval].

Good luck. And good weather on Eclipse Day.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks.  I will try that.  I have had limited success using a cheap knock-off remote interval timer but it sometimes doesn't work right.  I will try your suggestion and report back.

Occasional Contributor

BostonShooter,

Thank you very much.  I tried using the 2 sec self-timer and was able to take all 7 bracketed shots at each interval trigger.  That did the trick.  I am also using the Custom settings.  If you are experienced in this sort of thing (eclipses), would you mind sharing your exposure settings for the Custom modes (C1, C2, C3)?  I plan to use all three Custom modes with one being for pre and post totality (Contact 1 to Contact 2 and Contact 3 to Contact 4), one being for totality, including Bailey's Beads and Diamond Ring (Contact 2 to Contact 3), and one being for the corona (Contact 2 to Contact 3).  I would be very interested in what you would recommend for apeture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, etc.  Thanks again!