cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 20D flashing "Busy"

amurp004
Apprentice
I turned my Canon 20D on and it's flashing Busy and won't let me do anything. I've tried different CF cards and the batteries are fully charged. Any suggestions? Thanks!
1 REPLY 1

Tim
Authority

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to try to resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, in essence “re-booting” it much like re-starting a computer that has locked-up for whatever reason. Hopefully we can use these steps to clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Remove the camera's battery for a few seconds and then re-install it.

- Anything you attach or install in the camera — a memory card or a lens or even battery grips, for instance — should be removed and re-installed.

- Try installing a different memory card* or format the existing memory card**.

*Any memory card you use in the camera should be formatted prior to use.

**Format the card using the camera's menu command,and see if that restores normal operation to the camera. This erases the data on any media card you format so please backup any data you wish to keep.

Check the lens

- Clean the lens contacts to restore connection with the body.

**Warning** - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's incredibly easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts, and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Again, please do not use anything abrasive.

- Try using a different EF lens (we recommend to try this with a Canon-brand EF lens, doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using) there can sometimes be communication error issues related to certain third-party lenses on EOS bodies and checking this with a Canon-brand lens eliminates this as a possible factor.

This camera cannot be sent to service if the issue persists, as it is out of service life.  Please call the Canon Pre-Sales and Accessories department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight for more information. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements