cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1DX MKII Shooting Mode Confusion.

LanceA
Enthusiast

I have not needed the experienced advice of this forum for several months because your previous advice/help was so very useful.  However, I have run into a bit of a issue pertaining to the Shooting Modes of my 1DX MKII.

I have a pretty good working understanding of the Manual Shooting Mode.  I am able / need to manually set the Apature, Shutter Speed and IOS when in Manual Mode Setting.  I am certainly able to do this, but it can be a bit cumbersom and too slow in some shooting settings. 

Setting my camera to, APATURE Priority Mode,  allows/forces me to select and set the desired Apature setting, however, I can find no way to adjust the Shutter Speed on the fly if needed?  Do I need to either switch from Apatre Priority mode to Manual or Shutter Priority Mode to be able to increase the Shutter speed? 

The same issue arrises when I set My camera to Shutter Priority Mode.  I am unable to adjust the Apature Setting on the fly unless I switch Mode to Manual Mode or back to Apature Priority Mode.

I have considered trying PROGRAM Mode, but I am unable to actually highlight and select the "P" in the MODE Menu.   I am only allowed to select C1, C2 and C3 which are highlightable adjacent to the unselectable "P".  

Any advice or clarification will be grately appreciated.   Thankss Again and Happy Hollidays.

Lance A.

23 REPLIES 23

@Johnw1 wrote:

I never said I use a high fixed ISO. I said I try never to set the ISO on auto. I like to control it as I like to control shutter and or aperture. If I use auto ISO which is rare I have a good idea about the range it will be. I don't shoot birds in flight. I do shoot people often candidly. I also shoot urban scenes. I also use external flash when I think I will need it.

What I don’t like is having a variable out of my control. So I try to avoid it. This has worked for me for greater than 50 years.

50 years ago Kodak controlled your ISO. 😉

Or your developer. 8^)

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@LanceA wrote:

I have not needed the experienced advice of this forum for several months because your previous advice/help was so very useful.  However, I have run into a bit of a issue pertaining to the Shooting Modes of my 1DX MKII.

I have a pretty good working understanding of the Manual Shooting Mode.  I am able / need to manually set the Apature, Shutter Speed and IOS when in Manual Mode Setting.  I am certainly able to do this, but it can be a bit cumbersom and too slow in some shooting settings. 

Setting my camera to, APATURE Priority Mode,  allows/forces me to select and set the desired Apature setting, however, I can find no way to adjust the Shutter Speed on the fly if needed?  Do I need to either switch from Apatre Priority mode to Manual or Shutter Priority Mode to be able to increase the Shutter speed? 

The same issue arrises when I set My camera to Shutter Priority Mode.  I am unable to adjust the Apature Setting on the fly unless I switch Mode to Manual Mode or back to Apature Priority Mode.

I have considered trying PROGRAM Mode, but I am unable to actually highlight and select the "P" in the MODE Menu.   I am only allowed to select C1, C2 and C3 which are highlightable adjacent to the unselectable "P".  

Any advice or clarification will be grately appreciated.   Thankss Again and Happy Hollidays.

Lance A.

My advice would be to use manual mode with auto ISO. That way you select the shutter speed and the aperture, and the camera selects the appropriate ISO. The overall exposure can still be tweaked using exposure compensation.

I do like the idea of Manual Mode with Auto ISO.

Thanks,

Lance A

Announcements