cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon 80D problem. Please help!

TTLexceeded
Contributor

Hello. I bought cannon 80d this summer. Well i will get right to the point. Today i visited the beach with some friends. I took some photos and after a while cannon started being weird. At first it wouldnt let me access the menu to delete some photos as sd card was full. Switched it off then back on and it worked and then after some more photos all hell broke loose. My cannon opens up only on photograph mode. On video mode screen is black. On photograph mode shutter works, AF works, (all buttons next to AF work), i can change modes, i can even move the AF dot from the viewfinder. Any other button doesnt work. Live view doesnt work, menu wont work either. (camera is not locked obviously) when i switch to video nothing happens camera still takes photos. when i switch to video and then enable camera its a black screen. Any ideas? Please help!

21 REPLIES 21

Humidity would not have the effect you observed so quickly.  It can over time, however.

Come clean with us.  Did you get salt water on it?  Even a little?  If you did get salt water on, or in it, it is a death sentence and Canon will not warranty it?  You can't lie about it either.  They will know.

"...does this mean that if i want to shoot at a beach i have to waterproof it?"  Almost; salt water besides being dropped on concrete is the worse thing for a camera.  The 80D has some sealing but not a lot.  Spray can get in.

Of course, you may have just got a bad copy.  It happens and Canon will make it right.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTLexceeded
Contributor
Well the thing that gets my hopes high is that there is no change on the problem. I read in most water damage issues that when the camera dries there is some sort of change but mine is the same after almost 5 days. Anyway time will tell i guess.

@TTLexceeded wrote:
Well the thing that gets my hopes high is that there is no change on the problem. I read in most water damage issues that when the camera dries there is some sort of change but mine is the same after almost 5 days. Anyway time will tell i guess.

The problems will only get worse, not better, which means the cost to repair will only go higher, not lower.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@TTLexceeded wrote:

You're probably making a mistake. Electronic devices can sometimes recover from damage by fresh water. (I even had a keyboard recover from being doused with coffee. It took a few months to dry, but it worked afterwards.) But salt water is a different story. It's very corrosive; and after it dries, the salt is still there. Salt absorbs water out of the air, so the corrosion process can continue long after you may think it's over. If a camera gets exposed to salt water, your only realistic hope is to have it professionally cleaned immediately. As you say, time will tell; but you may not like what it tells you.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Are there any buttons that never work?  As I read the symptoms it sounds like an issue of working in one mode but not in another.

If the camera is in full 'auto' mode (green box on the mode dial) then there are a lot of changes that are locked out by design (in an effort to make the camera behave like a point & shoot).  But those same buttons would work if the mode dial were in P, Tv, Av, or M.  

As for the screen... you can toggle that on or off with the 'info' button (which cycles through several different choices of things to display and it remembers where you left so the next time you use that mode it'll be back to whatever you used last.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

So i have good news actually. After all this time i had an idea that maybe some button was being pushed down and didnt allow the other buttons to work. After some search on my camera i did notice that the "take a photo" button had some sand around it. I cleaned it trying to remove the sand AND ALL THE BUTTONS WORK NOW 😛 Pretty awesome i guess. Well i suppose there where ways for me to understand the problem but i was so frustrated. And as i said no water ever touched my camera so getting wet from humidity would be a bummer. Anyway thank you all for your time. I am posting this here cause maybe somebody has a similar issue. Thanks all

@TTLexceeded wrote:

So i have good news actually. After all this time i had an idea that maybe some button was being pushed down and didnt allow the other buttons to work. After some search on my camera i did notice that the "take a photo" button had some sand around it. I cleaned it trying to remove the sand AND ALL THE BUTTONS WORK NOW 😛 Pretty awesome i guess. Well i suppose there where ways for me to understand the problem but i was so frustrated. And as i said no water ever touched my camera so getting wet from humidity would be a bummer. Anyway thank you all for your time. I am posting this here cause maybe somebody has a similar issue. Thanks all

Tha's great.  That's a new one, the "take a photo" button. Smiley Wink

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTLexceeded wrote:

Tha's great.  That's a new one, the "take a photo" button. Smiley Wink

Well, it's an accurate description of that button.  Smiley Happy

Anyway, it's good that the problem is solved. Sand may not be as dangerous as salt water, but it can certainly be a nuisance. One of the reasons why I'm an advocate of saving an old camera for use as a "beach camera".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

loganmarshall5
Apprentice

I am having the exact same problem...What ended up happening?

@loganmarshall5wrote:

I am having the exact same problem...What ended up happening?

His solution is found a couple of posts up ... post #16 on the thread.  

Some sand in the shutter button (never a good thing) was making the shutter button stick (it wasn't full releasing).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements