cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I transfer my photos from my 80D directly to a flash drive?

TanBrae
Apprentice

I normally have several memory cards with me, but for some reason, I forgot my extras, and was in need of more space. I did manage to find a card that would work in my camera, but wasn't sure how well. As I had a couple flash drives with me, I wondered if it were possible to download the images directly to one of them. I'm thinking the answer is "no", but...

Also, if the answer IS no, then can you recommend a good portable hard drive onto which I can transfer images from my 80D?

15 REPLIES 15

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I'm not sure about that. It was last spring when I travelled, but if I recall I just plugged the reader into the USB port and downloaded CF card to the **bleep**, just like an SD card.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I'm not sure about that. It was last spring when I travelled, but if I recall I just plugged the reader into the USB port and downloaded CF card to the **bleep**, just like an SD card.

I'm happy to report that you are CORRECT. I must have done it wrong when I tried it when new. Everything needed to try again was right here so I hooked it up & installed a CF card & it has transferred, but it was slow compared to the SD cards. I was using a USB 2.0 card reader though but the card is a 90 MB/Sec Extreme Pro.
"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

For a moderator:

Just curious, but why does the software show **bleep** in place of the word "P a s s p o r t" (spaces added). 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi, everyone!

We'll admit that we were initially stumped as to why that word would be blocked, but we did some digging and found a reason.  We have a number of spam filters in place to keep the forum from being overrun with irrelevant content and by individuals making dubious offers.  A recurring item being offered by these individuals are illicit identification documents, including pas$ports. (See, even we have to dance around it.)  As this is an ongoing concern, we unfortunately have to keep that on our list of words to filter.

It looks like you all have devised ways to convey the name of the product without triggering our spam filters, so feel free to continue using that, or consider using more generic terms to describe it.

Thanks for your understanding!

@Danny wrote:

Hi, everyone!

We'll admit that we were initially stumped as to why that word would be blocked, but we did some digging and found a reason.  We have a number of spam filters in place to keep the forum from being overrun with irrelevant content and by individuals making dubious offers.  A recurring item being offered by these individuals are illicit identification documents, including pas$ports. (See, even we have to dance around it.)  As this is an ongoing concern, we unfortunately have to keep that on our list of words to filter.

It looks like you all have devised ways to convey the name of the product without triggering our spam filters, so feel free to continue using that, or consider using more generic terms to describe it.

Thanks for your understanding!

It seems to me that only a very unsophisticated spam filter would block a post for a single appearance of that word with no supporting context for the decision. Good filters apply statistical analysis to all the words in a message. Whatever you paid for yours was probably too much.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I remember those messages well. Give us your credit card info & we'll sell you fake documents. What could go wrong there???????

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements