cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CG-580 charger problem

lly3988
Rising Star

I have two CG-580 chargers for my old 40D/5D cameras. I just discovered that one of them is working perfectly well. It will charge the BP 511A batteries with no problem at all. It will blink once, twice and thrice accordingly and then a solid orange light when the BP 511A is fully charged.

The other charger behaved differently. With the same battery, the charger will only blink once all the time and no more. After a hour or two, the light will turn off totally. Camera shows that the battery is charged. (fully or not - I have no idea)

Both chargers are original Canon products. Not third party. Not fake item.

Does anybody have any idea what is wrong with the "blink once only" charger ?

1 REPLY 1

@lly3988 wrote:

I have two CG-580 chargers for my old 40D/5D cameras. I just discovered that one of them is working perfectly well. It will charge the BP 511A batteries with no problem at all. It will blink once, twice and thrice accordingly and then a solid orange light when the BP 511A is fully charged.

The other charger behaved differently. With the same battery, the charger will only blink once all the time and no more. After a hour or two, the light will turn off totally. Camera shows that the battery is charged. (fully or not - I have no idea)

Both chargers are original Canon products. Not third party. Not fake item.

Does anybody have any idea what is wrong with the "blink once only" charger ?

I guess you're saying that they're the same model number. Does one of them have a different revision level? I'm guessing that the one with the more elaborate blinking pattern is a later version. It wasn't that long ago that most chargers had just two states: "charging" and "done".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements