cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CF Card for 5D

Eaglewing
Contributor

I plan to purchase a higher capacity card for my Canon 5D (not mark II or III) and I do understand it is not UDMA capable so a card speed of 133x will suffice.

I would like to know whether the firmware will support a 32GB card or else I will settle for 16GB. For cost reason, I am considering a Transcend card.

Any advice is appreciated and thank you in advance.

BTW I am very pleased with the 5D Mark III I bought two months ago and plan to keep the "Mark I" as a back-up. The AF in the Mark III is "awesome" and I am learning to use the various features.... more practise will help.

Edwin Ho - Perth, Western Australia
5D, 5D III, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, 580 EX II
Lightroom 6, Photoshop Elements 10
And others.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Peter
Authority
Authority
5D with firmware 1.1.1 can use high capacity CF. At least 32 GB.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't have my 5D any longer because I sold it a while ago.  It is a great portrait camera.  Makes nice skin tones!

IMHO, you should not use large CF cards in any camera.  No matter if they will work or not.  I don't use any CF cards larger than 16 GB and I really prefer 8 GB.

There is too much chance of loss if all your eggs are in one basket or photos are all on one card.  Buy two 16 GB or four 8's and change them often.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Peter
Authority
Authority

@Peter wrote:

Thank you Peter, that's the answer I am after. Now I can decide whether to purchase a 32GB or 16GB CF card.

Edwin Ho - Perth, Western Australia
5D, 5D III, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, 580 EX II
Lightroom 6, Photoshop Elements 10
And others.
Announcements