cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON 80D ISSUE RECORDING STOP WITHOUT ANY REASON (not the SD Card problem)

andreasyan
Apprentice

HELP. I have canon 80D for a year which I've been using for videography and it works great. It has been fine for a while then out of nowhere the movie recording started to stop itself without any reason. Even I'm using SanDisk extreme pro class 10. Sometimes after stopped, the sensor will continuously flip (like changing from live view mode to viewfinder sound). I've already put it on canon service center and it's been the third time. They said it's the motherboard and already replace it but now it still stops recording without any reason. Please help because videography is part of my job, thank you.

Ps: the problem occurs at every format MP4 MOV FHD/HD 60fps 30fps 24fps. It's doing just fine with the same SD card, and after a year (9 months i think) it start the issue with the same SD card. I already buy new one SD card but the same result.

6 REPLIES 6

StanNH
Rising Star

Isn't the repair work that Canon did now under warranty?  If they didn’t fix the problem, I would think the camera should be returned to them for a proper fix at no additional cost to you.

yeah under warranty, at the first time they say its the motherboard and replace it. But the problem still occurs and it's been the third time they take the camera and nothing change. They took a long time to examine the camera until the warranty expires. This is what I don't really like about canon service in my country, they took it for a long time and claim already fix it yet after I use it right after they gave me the problem still occurs. I didn't even have time to use my camera for recording.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Just remember, your 80D is a stills camera first, and foremost, which just happens to be able to record short video clips.  It is neither a camcorder, nor a video camera.

Your camera can shut itself down for a host of reasons.  One of them is overheating, which could explain why your camera seems to switch to the viewfinder.  Even when this occurs, you should see a warning icon, which warns of overheating.

Believe it, or not, an SD card can cause the camera to stop, too.  When shooting stills, the burst write speed is important.  When shooting video, the continuous write speed is important.  The two specifications are not one and the same, and are independent of one another.  A high burst speed on writes does not mean the card will have a high continuous write speed.

It sounds like you may have the same SD card(s) that I use.  I use full size cards, not the micro-SD cards with adapters.  Just remember to give the SD card a low level format prior to extended sessions of video recording.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thank you for the explanation. I didn't see the warning icon of overheating. I am using two SD card SanDisk extreme pro and ultra class 10 and already done the low format yet the problem still occurs.

@andreasyan wrote:
thank you for the explanation. I didn't see the warning icon of overheating. I am using two SD card SanDisk extreme pro and ultra class 10 and already done the low format yet the problem still occurs.

If Canon cannot help you, then I do not know what tell you what to tell you, anymore.  Try resetting the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Are you shooting in higher ambient temperatures? I only shoot the occasional video with my 60D but am still a bit surprised by how warm/hot the back of the camera sometimes gets.

Announcements