cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANON 5D MARK II SUDDENLY LOST ALL ELECTRONIC FUNCTIONING. The BATTERY IS FRESHLY RECHARGED

CANONUSER46
Contributor

NO FOCUSING, NO SCREENS, NO PLAYBACK. WHAT SHOULD i DO?

9 REPLIES 9

hsbn
Whiz
Does the camera turn on at all? Is this Canon battery or third party one? Make sure the battery contact is still good also and the lens is attached properly also.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

If you have access to a voltmeter check to see if it's actually fully charged. A defective cell can do things like this.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I'VE TRIED IT WITH 2 BATTERIES. THE LENSES (i TRIED 24-70 F2.8, 85MM 1.2 AND A 70-200 F2.8) WITH THE SAME RESULT. rEAR SCREEN BRIGHTENS WHEN SWITCH IS FLIPPED. NO IMAGE ON SCREEN, IN VIEWFINDER OR IN THE TOP SCREEN

You can try to reset the camera by taking out the backup battery in the main battery compartment. Normally this will reset your camera and rid of normal firmware problem. If it doesn't work, I'm afraid you'll have to send it to Canon.
PS: caps hurt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

You didn't say if the batteries are Canon or off-brand. Off brand batteries can cause all sorts of problems. You really do need to try a known good Canon battery. The lens being attached makes no difference.

Did the camera get dropped or wet?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Both batteries are canon's own. The camera was in a rain event this past July in India but survived the trip and took many extraordinary photographs. This just occurred while I was inside, shooting through a closed window.

OK, sorry but it looks like you are in for a repair bill. If a camera gets wet, it isn't really all that bad. It is using it while wet that usually does the damage. Not saying that is your issue since it was so long ago. Also, if a camera is damaged by getting wet, it may not be price wise to fix it.

Provided you are certain your batteries are good and you have done a hard reset?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@CANONUSER46 wrote:

I'VE TRIED IT WITH 2 BATTERIES. THE LENSES (i TRIED 24-70 F2.8, 85MM 1.2 AND A 70-200 F2.8) WITH THE SAME RESULT. rEAR SCREEN BRIGHTENS WHEN SWITCH IS FLIPPED. NO IMAGE ON SCREEN, IN VIEWFINDER OR IN THE TOP SCREEN

Doesn't sound good.

By "no image in viewfinder" you mean it's completely black (so mirror is locked up)?

Is there any sign of moisture condensation inside the top LCD panel or anywhere else?

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

I had the exact same thing happen to me today. 5D MKII. Same exact symptoms as your's. I have also tried everything you did to no avail. Did you ever resolve your problem and if so what did you do? Thanks!

Announcements