cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Busy on flash

Saraa
Apprentice
Please i have this problem with my camera its canon EOS5. It works perfectly as long as the flash is off but once its on it keeps saying busy and doesnt take any pictures for me to take a picture i should switch it off first so how can i solve that!
Thanks in advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

@Saraa wrote:
Please i have this problem with my camera its canon EOS5. It works perfectly as long as the flash is off but once its on it keeps saying busy and doesnt take any pictures for me to take a picture i should switch it off first so how can i solve that!
Thanks in advance

EOS-5? I'm guessing this is the film camera model, also sold some places as A2 and A2E (which has a built-in flash)... and not a digital EOS-5D series model (which don't have built-in flash) .

That being the case, there is probabaly a fault with the flash itself, making it slow or impossible to charge up. The camera is preventing you from taking a shot, while it's trying to charge up the flash. Best case, whatever batteries you are using are old or otherwise inadequate to charge the flash, which draws a lot of power. But it also could be some component of the flash itself has failed. It might be repairable, though I doubt on a camera as old as an EOS-5 that Canon Service Dept. has any means of doing so. You'll likely need to find an independent repairer.

A cheaper alternative might be to just not use the built-in flash at all... Instead get an accessory flash to use in the camera's hot shoe or on  flash bracket with an off-camera shoe cord. These would give higher quality flash effect anyway, than a built-in will... Accessory flashes also are nearly always a lot faster recycling... And they have their own separate battery power, so don't drain the camea's batteries. You'll have to do a little research to find out what model flash is most usable with the EOS-5 (if you have a copy of the user manual, it probably recommends certain flashes).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

amfoto1
Authority

@Saraa wrote:
Thanks in advance

EOS-5? I'm guessing this is the film camera model, also sold some places as A2 and A2E (which has a built-in flash)... and not a digital EOS-5D series model (which don't have built-in flash) .

That being the case, there is probabaly a fault with the flash itself, making it slow or impossible to charge up. The camera is preventing you from taking a shot, while it's trying to charge up the flash. Best case, whatever batteries you are using are old or otherwise inadequate to charge the flash, which draws a lot of power. But it also could be some component of the flash itself has failed. It might be repairable, though I doubt on a camera as old as an EOS-5 that Canon Service Dept. has any means of doing so. You'll likely need to find an independent repairer.

A cheaper alternative might be to just not use the built-in flash at all... Instead get an accessory flash to use in the camera's hot shoe or on  flash bracket with an off-camera shoe cord. These would give higher quality flash effect anyway, than a built-in will... Accessory flashes also are nearly always a lot faster recycling... And they have their own separate battery power, so don't drain the camea's batteries. You'll have to do a little research to find out what model flash is most usable with the EOS-5 (if you have a copy of the user manual, it probably recommends certain flashes).

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

Saraa
Apprentice
Sorry i mistyped it my camera isa EOS M and the flash is detachable and with seperate battery so i will try changing the batteries again but if it didnt work then i should change the flash itself?
Thanks alot for your reply

I noticed you marked this as "solved".  Was it simply dead/low-battery in the flash?  I can easily imagine the camera might refuse to shoot if the flash is attached and it's waiting for the capacitors to be ready to fire.

I prefer to use Panasonic Eneloop rechargeables because they are low-self-discharge NiMH batteries in my flash units.   

I could say that I'm trying to be environmentally concious, but I also confess that if you shoot a lot of flash photography you can go through single-use batteries pretty quickly (expensive) AND if you leave single-use Alkaline batteries in a device you arean't using for a while (e.g. several months to perhaps a year) I've often had them leak on me and corrode the battery compartment terminals (or worse -- destroying electronics is VERY expensive.)  I've never seen a rechargeable NiMH batter leak. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I did not se an actual solution.

We are having the exact same problem with our Canon EOS M camera. It says it's busy when trying to take a photo with the flash turned on and won't take a photo. Takes photos if we turn the flash off. We use a detachable Speedlite 90EX flash. The camera was working fine with the flash for a year. After this problem started, we replaced the battereies in the camera and the flash. I bought new Lithium batterires for the camera. I then bought a new Speedlite 90EX flash. Nothing helped. Does anyon have a solution?

Hi WindyMike,

Since your setup has worked in the past I recommend restoring the settings of your camera to default to see if it helps. I would completely reset the settings by clearing the camera settings and custom functions. Instructions for this can be found on page 216 of the camera's manual HERE.

I would also recommend using a clean, dry, soft cloth to gently wipe the metal contacts on the foot of your flash, as well as the hotshoe of the camera. This will ensure the units have good contact.

If you continue to experience issues, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks. I will try this tonight after work.
Announcements