cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New 80D Issues

dacodekid
Contributor

I bought a brand new 80D just last week. After a very mild usuage, it started acting up. The power keeps on/off randomly when I touch the camera so the shutter wouldn't work either. Here is a short video I posted on YouTube.

Would apprecite if someone can shed some light on what's going on. Is it fixable by myself or return/replacement is probably better ?

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dacodekid wrote:

I bought a brand new 80D just last week. After a very mild usuage, it started acting up. The power keeps on/off randomly when I touch the camera so the shutter wouldn't work either. Here is a short video I posted on YouTube.

Would apprecite if someone can shed some light on what's going on. Is it fixable by myself or return/replacement is probably better ?

I haven't watched the video.  If it ain't right now, it won't be right in the future.  Exchange it while you still can.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you.  The seller from Amazon is pretty slow to work with for an replacement.  I'll just return and buy another instead, I assume.

@dacodekid wrote:

Thank you.  The seller from Amazon is pretty slow to work with for an replacement.  I'll just return and buy another instead, I assume.

I avoid buying big ticket items from Amazon and eBay altogether.  There are MUCH more reliable and less costly vendors, starting with the Canon Online Store.

Yep. I realized that now, a little too late though :).  It was backordered @ Canon site when I tried. After waited for little over a week I decided to go with Amazon. Will never that mistake again.

@dacodekid wrote:

@Yep. I realized that now, a little too late though :).  It was backordered @ Canon site when I tried. After waited for little over a week I decided to go with Amazon. Will never that mistake again.

I bought a lot of things from Amazon and have returned a few...never had a single problem...Amazon even covers shipping - not sure what you guys are talking about...

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

That differs from seller to seller. I've using Amazon for last 11 years or so and seen plenty like this. For example this seller I'm dealing with doesn't provide free return (though it was purchased through Prime.  I didn't check the return policy prior as I was excited to get it ordered). Now I have to spend $30-50 (its a $1500 bundle) to ship it back. Rather purchase from Walmart or BestBuy, I would be done with it by now.

EDIT: Worst of all, the seller hasn't contacted me yet even after I filed a replacement about 15 hours or so.

@dacodekid wrote:

That differs from seller to seller. I've using Amazon for last 11 years or so and seen plenty like this. For example this seller I'm dealing with doesn't provide free return (though it was purchased through Prime.  I didn't check the return policy prior as I was excited to get it ordered). Now I have to spend $30-50 (its a $1500 bundle) to ship it back. Rather purchase from Walmart or BestBuy, I would be done with it by now.

EDIT: Worst of all, the seller hasn't contacted me yet even after I filed a replacement about 15 hours or so.

I think the biggest U.S. online vendor of Canon gear is B&H Photo Video in NYC.  The pay for shipping, both ways, on most purchases over $50.

@diverhank wrote:

@dacodekid wrote:

@Yep. I realized that now, a little too late though :).  It was backordered @ Canon site when I tried. After waited for little over a week I decided to go with Amazon. Will never that mistake again.

I bought a lot of things from Amazon and have returned a few...never had a single problem...Amazon even covers shipping - not sure what you guys are talking about...

I will freely admit to having a blind distrust of both Amazon and eBay.  I haven't had bad experiences because I never order anything through them, but I know people who have.  This distrust goes back to when they both first started up.  I wouldn't buy anything more significant than a paperback from either one of them. 

I lay blame at the feet of the vendors who work through Amazon and eBay.  I would much rather deal with the vendor directly, instead of a middleman.  No doubt they have each improved their customer service since they started up, otherwise they would be out of business.  But, they each still have a few unreliable vendors out there.

I agree. I had a pretty bad experience with eBay vendor some years ago. So switched to Amazon and had very few problems since. I always prefer Prime elgible orders and most of the time Amazon (or their vendors) resolved the issues / covered the returns.

There are several awesome vendors who takes care of the issues within minutes - even for a few bucks products.  And then some sellers like this one. $1500 purchase and I get only one reply in every 24 hours (the remote trigger that was in the package didn't work from day one. Though I contact / reply immediately, the seller will reply only once per day). Bad apples - inevitable but I will never ever use eBay / Amazon for such a big purchase.  Your peace of mind is more worth than few extra bucks.

Announcements