cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand New 80D Issues

dacodekid
Contributor

I bought a brand new 80D just last week. After a very mild usuage, it started acting up. The power keeps on/off randomly when I touch the camera so the shutter wouldn't work either. Here is a short video I posted on YouTube.

Would apprecite if someone can shed some light on what's going on. Is it fixable by myself or return/replacement is probably better ?

14 REPLIES 14

@dacodekid wrote:

I agree. I had a pretty bad experience with eBay vendor some years ago. So switched to Amazon and had very few problems since. I always prefer Prime elgible orders and most of the time Amazon (or their vendors) resolved the issues / covered the returns.

There are several awesome vendors who takes care of the issues within minutes - even for a few bucks products.  And then some sellers like this one. $1500 purchase and I get only one reply in every 24 hours (the remote trigger that was in the package didn't work from day one. Though I contact / reply immediately, the seller will reply only once per day). Bad apples - inevitable but I will never ever use eBay / Amazon for such a big purchase.  Your peace of mind is more worth than few extra bucks.

I know people who swear by Amazon Prime.  They say it is MUCH improved over the startup days.  But, for the stuff that I would buy online, it just isn't for me.  That's all.  I value service after the sale even more than low costs.

I once ordered an expensive tripod from B&H on a Friday afternoon, before their same day shipping deadline.  I got it Monday morning, but it had a sticky leg so I got an RMA and shipped it back to them Monday afternoon.  They delivered a new tripod to my front door Wednesday MORNING.  I admit to living within 30 miles of their warehouses, but that is what I call service.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@dacodekid wrote:

I agree. I had a pretty bad experience with eBay vendor some years ago. So switched to Amazon and had very few problems since. I always prefer Prime elgible orders and most of the time Amazon (or their vendors) resolved the issues / covered the returns.

There are several awesome vendors who takes care of the issues within minutes - even for a few bucks products.  And then some sellers like this one. $1500 purchase and I get only one reply in every 24 hours (the remote trigger that was in the package didn't work from day one. Though I contact / reply immediately, the seller will reply only once per day). Bad apples - inevitable but I will never ever use eBay / Amazon for such a big purchase.  Your peace of mind is more worth than few extra bucks.

I know people who swear by Amazon Prime.  They say it is MUCH improved over the startup days.  But, for the stuff that I would buy online, it just isn't for me.  That's all.  I value service after the sale even more than low costs.

I once ordered an expensive tripod from B&H on a Friday afternoon, before their same day shipping deadline.  I got it Monday morning, but it had a sticky leg so I got an RMA and shipped it back to them Monday afternoon.  They delivered a new tripod to my front door Wednesday MORNING.  I admit to living within 30 miles of their warehouses, but that is what I call service.

I completely concur. B&H is run by ultra-orthodox Jews who apparently adhere to an ancient Jewish law that requires all business dealings to be conducted with absolute honesty. They also refuse to take orders on Saturday, but it's a small inconvenience for not having to worry that they won't stand behind what they sell.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

A little update on my case:

The seller finally reached out to me but they didn't offer a replacement. Instead they said "since this is a Prime purchase, you'll have to contact Amazon to arrange for return slip". That's rude enough for me to pack the entire package. While contact Amazon customer service regards Sellers' behaviour & "return slip", Amazon jumped on and take care of everything. Never felt such a friendlyness from any customer care reps. May be they sensed how frustrated I was with the purchase and the seller. I regained my confidense in Amazon - it just Canon's in hang now :))).

@dacodekid wrote:

A little update on my case:

The seller finally reached out to me but they didn't offer a replacement. Instead they said "since this is a Prime purchase, you'll have to contact Amazon to arrange for return slip". That's rude enough for me to pack the entire package. While contact Amazon customer service regards Sellers' behaviour & "return slip", Amazon jumped on and take care of everything. Never felt such a friendlyness from any customer care reps. May be they sensed how frustrated I was with the purchase and the seller. I regained my confidense in Amazon - it just Canon's in hang now :))).

I suspect that the seller's agreement with Amazon requires them to bounce it back to Amazon as they did. Since Amazon appears to have handled it to your satisfaction, it isn't obvious what you still have to gripe about.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

No thats not it.  Amazon accepted to cover the expense because the way seller handled the whole situation.  In fact they were surprised why the seller asked me to contact Amazon. When you pay $1500 and asking for a replacement piece for defected item for well over a week and still haven't received - but just one mail a day or two - I think I'm entitiled to gripe in every aspect :))

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements