cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best picture style for histogram accuracy when shooting raw?

Bazsl
Rising Star

I would like the histogram shown on the LCD of my 5D mark IV to reflect the dynamic range of the raw file as accurately as possible. Since the histogram is derived from the JPEG preview shown on the camera's LCD the histogram is affected by the picture style used to generate the JPEG preview. My question is, which contrast setting for the picture style will produce a dynamic range on the histogram that most closely approximates the dynamic range of the raw file? Put another way, the contrast value for a picture style can be set from -4 to 4. Most picture styles, including Standard and Neutral, have the contrast set to zero. Does a contrast value of zero produce a histogram whose dynamic range most closely approximates the dynamic range of the raw file or does a constrast value of -4 produce a histogram whose dynamic range most closely approximates the dynamic range of the raw file? If anyone can point me to any publication by Canon on this subject I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Bill

13 REPLIES 13

Peter
Authority
Authority

A feature with 5D IV is that it takes two raw files at the same time. I think it is 1 stop in different between the two raw files. That means that even if you overexpose 1 stop and clip the highlight, the second raw file will come out perfectly ETTR.

Sadly, the software to extract the second raw file is only available for Windows and OS X.

You are thinking of dual pixel raw files which let you make minor focus adjustments in DPP during post processing. This feature has nothing to do with exposure.

Peter
Authority
Authority
You just use the wrong software. The correct software is DPRSplit.

RobertC
Apprentice

https://luminous-landscape.com/settings-for-an-accurate-histogram/

I am also looking for a podcast that Chris Marquardt (TFTTF Tips From The Top Floor) about this subject several years ago.

Announcements