cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus stopped working

modivo
Contributor

Hello All,

The auto focus  on my EOS 50D stopped working. I've tried different lenses, checked the settings (It's not in manual mode), cleaned the contacts, etc. One day it worked great, then stopped. 

When I try to focus, the lens sounds as if it is trying, but goes blurry instead. I am so sick about this! Some lenses are only a year old and most are IS. I've tried turning the IS on and off too. Nothing helps.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me? THANK YOU!

The camera or lenses have never been dropped or mistreated.

Thanks so much in advance for your help,

Mo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Typically when the AF sensor goes bad or is 'very' dirty, the lens will hunt for AF.  I would take your camera to a service center and have it cleaned.  I bet it has never been done. Right?

Did you happen to select a single focus point by mistake?  Try to reset the camera to defaults before you do anything.

Whenever anything happens out of the ordinary, the first thing to do is completely reset the camera.  Always do the easy stuff first.  Then the cheapest stuff.

Get a brand new Canon battery and make sure it is charged completely.  Chargers go bad too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ScottyP
Authority

If it happens with multiple lenses it must be something with the camera.  

How old is your 50d?

Will it focus in Live View (looking through the back LCD like a big cell phone camera instead of through the viewfinder)?

Do you see any dust on 1.) the focus screen, 2.) the mirror or 3.) the sensor itself?   If there is enough crud on those things it could possibly be interfering with focus.  A rocket blower is great to have if you don't already have one. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Those are great suggestions, Scotty. Thank you! I believe I've had my 50D for 5 years now. I hadn't tried the LiveView feature. I was able to reset back to default mode and that got it focusing again, thankfully! I never heard of a rocket blower, but will get one asap.

I like your comment about the "fer"tographer. I recently saw a photo with tires in it that had a sign that read "Tares 4 sale"

I guess it depends on the region you live in...

Thank you for your great suggestions, I appreciate yur help!

Mo

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@modivo wrote:

Hello All,

The auto focus  on my EOS 50D stopped working. I've tried different lenses, checked the settings (It's not in manual mode), cleaned the contacts, etc. One day it worked great, then stopped. 

When I try to focus, the lens sounds as if it is trying, but goes blurry instead. I am so sick about this! Some lenses are only a year old and most are IS. I've tried turning the IS on and off too. Nothing helps.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me? THANK YOU!

The camera or lenses have never been dropped or mistreated.

Thanks so much in advance for your help,

Mo

The AF sensor sometimes gets dusty. This normally doesn't happen overnight, usually you'll notice AF getting less reliable before failing completely.

The AF sesnor is located at the bottom of the camera. With the camera in mirror lockup mode, it should look something like this.

IMG_0981 arrow.jpg

The AF sensor is located under that opening shown by the arrow. You can try using a bulb blower, possibly with a bendable straw as an extension, to try and blow the dust off of the AF sensor. DO NOT use canned air. This may or may not help.

Thank you for that info & reminder, Tom. I cleaned the sensor, but i needed to clear my settings back to default.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Mo

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Typically when the AF sensor goes bad or is 'very' dirty, the lens will hunt for AF.  I would take your camera to a service center and have it cleaned.  I bet it has never been done. Right?

Did you happen to select a single focus point by mistake?  Try to reset the camera to defaults before you do anything.

Whenever anything happens out of the ordinary, the first thing to do is completely reset the camera.  Always do the easy stuff first.  Then the cheapest stuff.

Get a brand new Canon battery and make sure it is charged completely.  Chargers go bad too.

EB

Thank you, THANK YOU, ebiggs1. You nailed it exactly. I cleared and reset my camera and now it's working perfectly!

Yes, I have had my camera cleaned a few times, but appreciate the info. My camera is an extension of me and I treat it like a baby. 😉

I had just bought a little point and shoot to fill in until I got my camera fixed. Thanks to you, I didn't have to open the box. I dn't know why I didn't think to do that first. I think I was so upset that it wasn't working that I couldn't think clearly other than make sure it was not in manual mode.

Thanks so much again,

Now I can go shoot those Fall colors!

Sincerely,

Mo

Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements