cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus not giving beep or green light in creative modes

irish626
Contributor

Just recently the autofocus on my 70D does not alert me with the green light in the viewfinder or the beep. The problem exists in the creative modes only in basic modes it works.  

I cleared all settings and functions and it still does not function.

Any help will be appreciated.  

Tnx

marty

39 REPLIES 39

John,

Did that earlier today and no change. Funny the beeper and light work in basic modes but not the creative modes

@irish626 wrote:

John,

Did that earlier today and no change. Funny the beeper and light work in basic modes but not the creative modes

If it works in basic modes and not in creative modes it is a setting on the camera. Are you sure you cleared all camera settings using the menu choice below

clear camera settings.JPG

and cleared all custom functions using the menu choice below?

clear custom function.JPG

Also be aware the camera will not 'Beep' or give you a focus confirm light when using AIServo.

The camera will only give you a 'Beep' and give you a focus confirm light when you are using 'One Shot'.

@TTMartin wrote:

@irish626 wrote:

John,

If it works in basic modes and not in creative modes it is a setting on the camera. Are you sure you cleared all camera settings using the menu choice below

Also be aware the camera will not 'Beep' or give you a focus confirm light when using AIServo.

The camera will only give you a 'Beep' and give you a focus confirm light when you are using 'One Shot'.

I am beginning to suspect that cameras need to be in the green "A" shooting mode for the above to be fully effective.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@irish626 wrote:

John,

I am beginning to suspect that cameras need to be in the green "A" shooting mode for the above to be fully effective.

No!!!, when it is in the Green Square mode, it automatically reverts back to factory defaults, the same as doing the above.

The only mode settings where resetting above doesn't work is when you are in the Custom Shooting Mode (C). And that can be cleared in a third place.

custom shooting mode.JPG

"No!!!, when it is in the Green Square mode, it automatically reverts back to factory defaults, the same as doing the above.

The only mode settings where resetting above doesn't work is when you are in the Custom Shooting Mode (C). And that can be cleared in a third place."

A couple of weeks ago, my son and I tried to reset his 7D2, which was in one of the Creative modes.  His camera had also stopped beeping on focus lock.  We checked, and it was in AI Servo, Changed it One Shot mode, nothing.  We tried a reset, nothing, no change, no beep.  Changed to "A" mode, and the camera cleared when we did the reset.  All was back to normal.

As you've noted when in Green Square mode, the camera reverts back to factory defaults.  It would seem as if the camera doesn't want to overwrite some settings that affect camera behavior in the current shooting mode. 

Besides, how much damage would be caused by doing a reset in Green Square mode, anyway?  Zero.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"No!!!, when it is in the Green Square mode, it automatically reverts back to factory defaults, the same as doing the above.

The only mode settings where resetting above doesn't work is when you are in the Custom Shooting Mode (C). And that can be cleared in a third place."

A couple of weeks ago, my son and I tried to reset his 7D2, which was in one of the Creative modes.  His camera had also stopped beeping on focus lock.  We checked, and it was in AI Servo, Changed it One Shot mode, nothing.  We tried a reset, nothing, no change, no beep.  Changed to "A" mode, and the camera cleared when we did the reset.  All was back to normal.

As you've noted when in Green Square mode, the camera reverts back to factory defaults.  It would seem as if the camera doesn't want to overwrite some settings that affect camera behavior in the current shooting mode. 

Besides, how much damage would be caused by doing a reset in Green Square mode, anyway?  Zero.

So if you want to revert a 7D2 to factory settings, do it in "green square" mode because the reset is likely to be more complete. Is that what you're saying? That would be surprising (a firmware bug, really); but if that's how it is, it's a good thing to know.

BTW, Canon, a very nice addition to the EOS Utility would be the capability to download the camera's current settings into a file that could be used later to restore them if they got screwed up or you had to do a reset. A beneficial side effect would be that if the camera has more than one user, each could have his/her own configuration file. At one time I wonderif if the EOSU already had that capability; but if it does, I haven't been able to find it.

Why am I so enthusiastic about that idea? Because twice I've botched photo shoots because one of my cameras was shooting JPEGs when I thought it was set to RAW. In each case I had sent the camera to the Canon shop for cleaning and failed to realize or remember that they do a general reset as part of the cleaning and inspection process.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

So if you want to revert a 7D2 to factory settings, do it in "green square" mode because the reset is likely to be more complete. Is that what you're saying? That would be surprising (a firmware bug, really); but if that's how it is, it's a good thing to know.

And totally WRONG, those menu options to reset the camera settings and custom functions are not available in the Green Square Mode.

You need to be in P/Tv/Av/M to have these menu options available.

Clear all camera settings

Clear all Custom Func. (C.Fn.)

And to clear Custom shooting mode (C mode), Clear Settings

custom shooting mode.JPG

"And totally WRONG, those menu options to reset the camera settings and custom functions are not available in the Green Square Mode.

Clear all camera settings."

Really?  I'm going by what my son was telling me over the phone, actually.  I had changed the AF modes in the camera, when I had borrowed it one day.  When he got it back somehow the camera stopped beeping on AF confirmation.  I told him to reset it. 

I don't think it was clearing out the BBF that I had set up when he did a reset.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"And totally WRONG, those menu options to reset the camera settings and custom functions are not available in the Green Square Mode.

Clear all camera settings."

Really?  I'm going by what my son was telling me over the phone, actually.  I had changed the AF modes in the camera, when I had borrowed it one day.  When he got it back somehow the camera stopped beeping on AF confirmation.  I told him to reset it. 

I don't think it was clearing out the BBF that I had set up when he did a reset.

Yes, I double checked with the 7D Mk II in MY HANDS before posting it. 

Have you ever played the game called 'Telephone'?

"Yes, I double checked with the 7D Mk II in MY HANDS before posting it."

If you have one one hand, see if a reset [clear custom functions?] clears custom button settings.  His camera, according to him, was apparently in BBF mode [I had forgotten to clear it], and he couldn't reset it back to normal shutter button action. 

Announcements