cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus not giving beep or green light in creative modes

irish626
Contributor

Just recently the autofocus on my 70D does not alert me with the green light in the viewfinder or the beep. The problem exists in the creative modes only in basic modes it works.  

I cleared all settings and functions and it still does not function.

Any help will be appreciated.  

Tnx

marty

39 REPLIES 39

@Waddizzle wrote:

"It would be nice if Canon had a single menu choice to reset the camera back to factory defaults. Though I'm sure even if they had two levels of warnings that all settings would be lost, someone would still complain about that too."

It would be nice.  Perhaps, a little too nice and easy.  I think two levels of warnings for a reset to actual, fresh out of the box, factory defaults would be a nice, too. But, I can also see someone getting stuck on that menu and clicking "OK", let me out.

But, a genuine full reset opens up another can of worms.  Should the shutter count be reset to zero, or being left as is?  It should be left "as is", which means that "reset to factory defaults" [menu choice] wouldn't be a truly complete reset.

Huh? A zero shutter count qualifies as a "factory default" in this context? That seems like a bit of a stretch, to say the least.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Huh? A zero shutter count qualifies as a "factory default" in this context? That seems like a bit of a stretch, to say the least."

Huh?  You lost me.  Why shouldn't resetting the shutter count back to zero be considered a "factory default"?  Hopefully, a zero shutter count [or very close to it] is what you should have when you first take the camera out of the box.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Huh? A zero shutter count qualifies as a "factory default" in this context? That seems like a bit of a stretch, to say the least."

Huh?  You lost me.  Why shouldn't resetting the shutter count back to zero be considered a "factory default"?  Hopefully, a zero shutter count [or very close to it] is what you should have when you first take the camera out of the box.

Because any sensible definition of "factory defaults" refers only to the default values of parameters that are subject to change (to any allowable value) by the user. The only way a user can change the shutter count is by taking more pictures, and the only allowable value is whatever the counter says it is. So it makes no sense to include it in the parameters that can or should be "reset to factory defaults".

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@Waddizzle wrote:

I don't think it was clearing out the BBF that I had set up when he did a reset.

Because it won't clear out BBF if you just choose 'Clear camera settings'.

You need to 'Clear Custom Func. (C.Fn)' to clear back button focus.

Yes, as soon as your son set the camera to Green Square it would clear BBF, but, as soon as he turned it back to P/Tv/Av/M it would be back in BBF.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks John....I will call them tomorrow and try to solve this problem......going in the woods thursday and need my camera for wildlife pictures. Jusy received a new Canon 400mm 5,6l lens and anxious to try it out.

marty

Could this have something to do with having selected an AF point, maybe one other than the center point?  Try cycling through af points and go back to the setting where all the points are lit and available and the camera picks a point. Do you get your beep back?  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Also could this just be the camera is unable to give a proper exposure so it won't take the shot?  In auto mode the camera manipulates all the variables for a correct shooting solution but in AV or Tv it is possible to set a shutter that is too fast or an aperture too small for the camera to compensate using the other variable so it won't take a shot. Maybe only happens in one shot AI focus or something. I have seen the camera do this but having a hard time describing precisely here on the iPhone without the camera handy. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That would be a good feature. The 1D series can do that, but from what I've seen some of the newer cameras are more complex than the 1D Mark IV.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

lesrap
Apprentice

I recently had this same problem on my EOS M50. I applied electrical contact cleaner, available from Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. to a q-tip & cleaned all of the gold contacts on the camera's lens mount, lens, & lens adaptor, and everything now functions as it should.  Hope that this helps.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements