cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspect Ratio on a Canon 6D

BazzaBoy
Contributor

In the menu system on my 6D, I only have the choice to shoot at an aspect ratio of 16:9 in the live view. If I switch the live view off and revert to the view finder, the camera defaults to the 4:3 aspect ratio and there is no changing that.

What do I do, to shoot at an aspect ratio of 16:9 without using live view?

Help appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That's odd.  My 6D shoots 3:2 no matter what setting is used in the menu.  It makes no difference if I shoot RAW or JPEG, either.  In fact, the EXIF data always reports 3:2 no matter how the camera is set.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

That's really odd.  My son's 7D2 shoots 3:2 no matter what setting is used in the menu.  It makes no difference if I shoot RAW or JPEG, either.  In fact, the EXIF data always reports 3:2 no matter how the camera is set.

I think there is more going on here than we realize.  But, these results are not what I would expect, either, especially the EXIF data.

The sensor's ratio will be 2:3 which has been the standard carried over from 35 mm SLR's Any other ratio is accomplished by cropping away part of the image the sensor can capture.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yes, it is 3:2 ratio, not 4:3 ratio as I mentioned in my first post. Sorry about that.

But are there any focusing screens available which will assist me in taking 16:9 photos? That would be more desirable than just taking a photo and hope that some impotant content will not be cropped out.

@cicopo wrote:

The sensor's ratio will be 2:3 which has been the standard carried over from 35 mm SLR's Any other ratio is accomplished by cropping away part of the image the sensor can capture.

But, that's just it.  I must be missing something, because changing aspect ratios changes nothing.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements