cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the enlargements noticeably better on a 5D mark 3 when compared to the original 5D?

jshul
Apprentice

Does all of the new technology found on the 5D mark 3 really help make better enlargements?  I am using 16x20 as a basis for comparison........Do you see the difference in enlargements with 5D mark 3  vs. 5D (original)?

How does the 7D compare to the 5D mark 3?

2 REPLIES 2

cicopo
Elite

I've owned a 7D & 5D2 and they are both great cameras but different. Your question has too many variables to be an either or answer but both the 5D2 & 5D3 will make very nice 16 X 20's and you can crop a lot away when compared to a 5D file & still get great prints. The real advantage to the newer bodies is the better images at higher ISO's. I have owned the 7D & 5D2 but not the 5D3 so can't compare all 3 head to head because I've sold the 7D & 5D2 for different reasons specific to my needs. Do you have the ability to print 8 X 10's at home with a quality printer? When I'm considering printing large I usually crop my file so I have 1 corner of the file = to 25% of it & print it as an 8 X 10 rather than a 16 X 20 to save ink & paper. If you can do that download some sample files & make some prints (You can crop down smaller too as long as you divide the file up correctly.)

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

As a general statement that will always have exceptions but generally, the newer sensor will make better imagines (prints). Lets say all else is equal. Technology just makes for better sensors.

As a practical matter your 5D may be fine for your purpose.

The truth is most folks crop their imagines and a 16 x 20 print is actually much larger in percentage figures.

In normal shooting conditions each generation of 5D has improved. If you add the low light ability to the equation the 5D Mk III rules.

In my book it (5D Mk III) is only comparable to the 1D x.

I do like the way the 5D does skin tones, however.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements