cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple "Aperture" + 1DX mark 2

Markeran
Contributor

Greetings

I have got the weirdest problem downloading my photos (RAW format) from my 1DX mark 2 to my software Apple Aperture, version 3.6-
The camera connects well and download swiftly the photos to the software, generating jpeg thumb prints which load full screen upon double clicking as a RAW file. Most of the time the photos open perfectly and can be post-handled without difficulty. On the other hand it happens that a whole series open fully with a very dark green overcast without any other colour- These files are just impossible to work with and do not respond to any control.
Considering that these RAW files however open correctly in DPP the logic would be to blame the Apple software : but how to explain that the problem only happens intermittently? Surely if the software was not compatible with Canon CR2 files coming from the 1DX mark II, it would be a permanent problem...
My questions are :
- Did you ever notice a similar problem?
- Could it be that my 1DXmkII has a defective RGB channel creating an intermittent problem?
I have got a few CR2 files that I could upload to you to show you the problem.
Many thanks for your kind assistance.
Best Regards
Mark

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Markeran wrote:

Considering that these RAW files however open correctly in DPP the logic would be to blame the Apple software : but how to explain that the problem only happens intermittently? Surely if the software was not compatible with Canon CR2 files coming from the 1DX mark II, it would be a permanent problem...

My questions are :
- Did you ever notice a similar problem?
- Could it be that my 1DXmkII has a defective RGB channel creating an intermittent problem?
I have got a few CR2 files that I could upload to you to show you the problem.
Many thanks for your kind assistance.
Best Regards
Mark

When you say intermittently, do you mean some files, but not others?  Or, do you mean sometimes it just feels like a nut, and doesn't work properly with the same file(s)?

Software tends to fail completely, not intermittently, except when there is communications and heavy I/O [input/output] involved.  All that you're really doing is crunching numbers, without any I/O operations, except for disk access.  So, intermittent failure is highly unusual.

It could be some common setting that is being appliled to some of the images like High ISO Noise Reduction, or Lighting Optimization, but not some of the others that do open up properly.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Precisely, I mean some files but not others...In other words in one run of approx 100 shots taken at the same time with the same settings (as per EXIF), without High ISO noise reduction or lightning optimization (ISO was 800), approx 15 photos came out totally green with huge contrast and unable to be corrected (actually you could hardly distinct what they were about...)

Weird but like some contributor wrote, it must be a glitch of the Apple software although this has never happened before with my 5Dmk3 and 5Ds.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
I would still suggest you buy LR and see if the same situation happens. Not to beat a dead horse but Aperture is not LR. Not even close.
EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You're right, Aperture is the much better DAM.

Absolutely, for *those* who know and have used Aperture, this application performs *as well* as Lightroom - Furthermore, though its priviledged situation in graphic Arts, Adobe has developed into a greedy business proposition unfairly advantaging customers with a monthly / yearly contract and defavorising those with a stand-alone application.

But you are unfortunately right and at some stage I shall have to migrate towards LR, mostly due to development in Mac OS (I am still with 10.11.6 "El Capitan") and unable to move towards "Sierra" and "High Sierra" due to the impossibility for Aperture to work with those upgrades. 

"Not to beat a dead horse but Aperture is not LR."

Well you two can certainly 'beat the dead horse', Aperture, or you can get Lightroom and move on. Yeah, I know its fun to poke jokes but the writing is on the wall.  You need to get LR and see if the problem remains.  No matter what you think of Adobe, PS and LR is the industry standard.  Aperture has never been and will never be.  The ball is in your court.  

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements