cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple "Aperture" + 1DX mark 2

Markeran
Contributor

Greetings

I have got the weirdest problem downloading my photos (RAW format) from my 1DX mark 2 to my software Apple Aperture, version 3.6-
The camera connects well and download swiftly the photos to the software, generating jpeg thumb prints which load full screen upon double clicking as a RAW file. Most of the time the photos open perfectly and can be post-handled without difficulty. On the other hand it happens that a whole series open fully with a very dark green overcast without any other colour- These files are just impossible to work with and do not respond to any control.
Considering that these RAW files however open correctly in DPP the logic would be to blame the Apple software : but how to explain that the problem only happens intermittently? Surely if the software was not compatible with Canon CR2 files coming from the 1DX mark II, it would be a permanent problem...
My questions are :
- Did you ever notice a similar problem?
- Could it be that my 1DXmkII has a defective RGB channel creating an intermittent problem?
I have got a few CR2 files that I could upload to you to show you the problem.
Many thanks for your kind assistance.
Best Regards
Mark

15 REPLIES 15

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't see anything on the Apple community.

Are you using straight raw or one of the variations like compressed or mraw?

The same for me, I can find any lead on the Apple community.

I am using straight RAW - I am just concerned that there is something wrong with my (new) 1DX II

For interest's sake I have got over 10,000 shots, all (straight) RAW using Aperture 3.6 from my two other cameras (5Ds and 5D3) without having ever encountered that problem.

Thanks for responding.

Regards - Mark

Clearly, it is an Aperture issue, I would not worry about the camera.

Don't hold your breath for a bugfix. 8^)

Though it might be fixed in future RAW updates. Make sure to send feedback to Apple.

Thanks for your comment.
You are probably right but I "do not like" this kind of glitch when they are unexplained... Unfortunately Aperture has been discontinued a few years ago!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... my 1DX mark 2 to my software Apple Aperture,..."

What I find curious, you dropped the dime on a 1D Mk II and you use Aperture?  Smiley Surprised

You need Adobe Lightroom.  I don't think Apple even supports Aperture any more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hence my smiley.

For a time Aperture was the best DAM/Raw processor. It came out *before* Lightroom.

Never had an Apple or Mac computer so I never used it.  I grew up on Photoshop even before it was called Photoshop and it was just B&W.

I consider Aperture to be in the class of all the other freebie web offerings like Picassa or whatever it's called.  Fine for Mom and the kids but not for a 1D Mk II owner.  I don't even think Aperture is still supported by Apple anymore but I don't even know that for sure.  Just what I hear from friends.  A guy buys a 1D Mk II and than uses Aperture?  I just find that 'curious'!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Aperture was a Workflow manager for professional photographers. It has been discontinued, mainly because of LightRoom, which is its only real competition.

OK, fair enough...you find this curious!

It's probably the habit of using Aperture (and various Macs for the past twenty years) associated to some laziness in mastering a new app such as Lightroom (to which I shall probably switch over one of these days)

But don't underestimate "Aperture" : it was in its days (and even today) a good program not to be compared to the deficient "Moms-directed" "Photos" from Apple which officially replaced it.

Unfortunately, it is correct that Apple does not support anymore Aperture (for a few years already) and that they have the nasty habit of starting something and, after a few years, let their customers in the ditch, witness their Final Cut Pro (film editing app) which is also terminated.

Adobe with Photoshop, Lightroom & Premiere is now the king for good or for worse.

So, to comeback to the curious fact of owning a 1DXmk2 (and a 5Dmk3 & 5Ds) + 10 Canon L lenses  starting at 11mm all the way to 560mm (with 1.4 III EXT) including TS-E and Macro.

The fact is that I am concentrating on DSLR film making ("Premiere"!) rather than still shots and that in addition to Canon, my second love is ... Apple, hence "Aperture" 🙂

Announcements