cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another dead 70D.

Chop78
Contributor

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with Canon 70D. 

I bought 2 used 70D and they both ended dead for no reason. They both needed mainboard replacement according to local camera repair. 

I thought It was bad ideas to buy used one so I tried it for the third time with a brand new 70d. Well, to my luck, this 3rd one was dead after about 1 year 2 months of very light usage. I'd be lucky if I got couple K shutter counts before it died.

Sent it to Canon with a short letter explaining the issue and also expressed my concern about this model, explaining how I treated the camera.

No email confirmation from Canon what so ever for almost a week. So I called them today, the person on the phone said they did received my camera, estimated repair cost is over $400. 

I rejected the repair so they are going to send it back to me. I feel quite disappointed. For the price of that camera, it's  completely wasted. And for the service, I guess, maybe because i am not a value custommer for something, so they don't even bother to send me a confirmation or any detail about it.

I also did some research on internet and seemed like there were people outthere having same issue with this model.

Thank you Canon for the thousand bucks paperweight.

7 REPLIES 7

Crista
Whiz

Hi Chop78! 

We understand your frustrations with trying to get your EOS 70D repaired. When you get the chance, shoot us an email with your contact information and repair number to canonfriends@cits.canon.com. We'll take a look and see what we can do to help. 

We look foward to hearing from you! 

thank you Crista. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I tried it for the third time with a brand new 70d."

Just out of curiosity, where did you buy the new 70D from?  Is it a Canon USA model?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am also vey curious.

After two dead 70D, you still invest that much to buy another one ?

@lly3988 wrote:

I am also vey curious.

After two dead 70D, you still invest that much to buy another one ?

The 70D was a very popular camera not that long ago. It's hard to get one's head around the idea that the model itself may have been a lemon. So one has to consider (but not necessarily accept) the possibility that the problem may be traceable to the user doing something wrong.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Like Robert said, it was a popular camera, I did like it. And the other 2 were bought used online so I thought it was just my bad luck with used cameras. 

Yes, it was bought from known electronic store in town.
Announcements