Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Advise Needed: 100-400 II or 7D Mark III, wildlife

Thanks so much for all the excellent responses.  I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade but I don't want to be dissapointed.  Image quality is huge in my book.  Nice to hear about the possible release of a larger Canon zoom.  That might be something to hold out for.  

Regards,

Tim

Honored Contributor

bsharp321 wrote:

I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade but I don't want to be dissapointed.  Image quality is huge in my book. 

Tim

A 7D2 is not going to suddenly give you a boost in image quality.  I feel cropped shots with a 6D look at least as good as I uncropped shots from a 7D2.

It will give you less reason to use an extender.  Of course, there will be a small price to pay.  Increased noise, compared to a 6D.  But, the noise is pretty insignificant at ISO 800 and lower.  Some would say ISO 1600 and lower.  But, you will notice a definite difference compared to a 6D as ISO settings rise.

The main advantage that a 7D2 could give you is a reason to retire your 1.4x extender.  At 200mm, your 6D and extender would be equivalent to 280mm, and some loss in AF speed.  With a 7D2 and no extender, you would get a 320mm focal length, and no loss in AF speed.  Again, nothing comes for free.

I think the 7D2 was, and still is, a fantastic camera.  It is a “in my bag” camera body for action photography on a bright sunny day.  The AF system was one of the best in any Canon DSLR.  However, that AF performance edge is being overshadowed by Canon’s next generation of AF system, which can be found in the 80D and 6D Mark II.

I want most of my action photography exposed at 1/1000, or faster.  I shoot in M mode, with Auto ISO, which is capped at ISO 12800 in my 6D, and ISO 3200 in my 7D2.  Basically, this means I can shoot two stops faster with the 6D compared to the 7D2.  This is why the 7D2 is usually not the first camera out of the bag.  It would if I were using the 70-200mm f/s.8, but more times than not, I am shooting with the slower 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L. 

Or, I am shooting with a Sigma 150-600mm “C”, which is even slower.  With the Sigma 150-600mm, I prefer cropping shots with the 6D, because my ISO is typically ranging from 800-6400.  The 6D shots simply look better because of the lower noise. I think you would find a 7D2 to be a step backwards, when it comes to noise.

I say invest in the 100-400mm Mark II, instead of the 7D2.  You will love the lens.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
New Contributor

Fantastic information!  So much to consider.  Thanks so much for your help!