cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Action Dance Shot

mwikster
Contributor

I have a Canon SLR 70D and Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 - trying to take fast action dance shots

What settings would you put your camera on.  Photos in a gym and unable to use flash.  Dance is hip hop, lyrical and pom routines so a lot of movement. 

picture is just not very crisp - will post a 2nd photo on another board

Used FStop f2.8, exposure time 1/1600 sec, ISO 3200, focal length 42 mm, exposure bias -1.3 step

Dance Team Brashear Kayla (4303).JPG

16 REPLIES 16

Not me.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The LCD is my light meter. Shoot, add or subtract EC as necessary to get a good look on the LCD. Adjust in CS6 as necessary if fine tuning is needed.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@desultory wrote:
With the newer matrix focusing and exposure metering methods in these pretty smart cameras, does anyone continue to use hand held spot meters?

The last hand-held meter I carried was an old Weston that I inherited from my father. Its film speed settings preceded the ISO numbering conventions.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I shoot light challenges subjects all the time.  I am the "Arts Photographer" for our local school district.

My equipment of choice is my 1D Mk IV with my 24-70mm f2.8 L and my 70-200mm f2.8 L.

Most of the advice is good, not all of it but most, especially Tim Campbell.  I will add and tell you how I do it.

First set you camera back to factory default.  Do not use a EC, set it to zero.  This will only confuse you.  Do not use Auto ISO either. How is the 70D at ISO 1600?  That is where I set my 1D Mk IV and it is very good there.

I always shoot RAW and never in jpg. This change alone will gain you a ton of adjustment ability you don't have if you are using jpg.  You will need post software but this is the very best way to shoot.  You have a fine camera and a top of the mark lens so why put blinders on them by shooting jpg?

Next choose your spot carefully.  Where you are makes a big difference in your success.  Sometimes high on the bleachers is best and sometimes on the floor is best.

You do need to find a SS that will stop action.  I find 1/250 will do a good job on most movements by dancers even football palyers.  Not always so you need to be aware as this may need to go up to 1/500.  I doubt you will ever need 1/1000 or higher.

You can use Tv set to 1/250 and give it a try.  You don't need the dancers to do this.  Go early and do some tests. Possibly there is a sibling that can stand in for you!

I hope some of the tips we have given you help. But I can not stress how much and important shooting RAW is.  With todays cameras and software there is no reason to use jpg.  And also, maybe the most important is preparation for the shoot.  Go early, choose your placement and test exposures.

The camera and lens you have will get you good shots, if you do your part.  Smiley Happy  Let me know how it goes.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

As you can see we all have a different idea of how to shoot your event but we seem to agree on the fact you need to find an appropriate shutter speed.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Those are all great tips , I always went early and took pictures of kids running around to get my settings close  but  I never tried moving around.. great thought ..  

Watching the Nikon videos of Parquor, skateboarding and that fast moving stuff is really fascinating.  It might take a weeeeeeeee bit more joint mobility and balance than I have at this stage of age and being run down by a van and doing too much to help others and .... but the results are really super.  Of course they also use some small hand balancing things and OH YES there are a lot of retakes and practice.  Too bad we can't stop the parades and have them re run the action a few times.

Announcements