cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidental Lens Release

michaelgirman
Contributor

My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine.  The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to accidentally unlock without realizing it.  I went to twist the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off.  Blogs are full of compaints of this occurance on mkii's.  

This is definitely a design flaw.  It's not user error.  The button should be relocated or made to require more force to release  or have a detent position.  

It's a shame that you have to gaffer tape a $2300 lens to a $2000 camera.  Be forewarned.  

184 REPLIES 184

"... the 24-70 it's the zoom ring that's closest to the camera body."

And... part of the time it zooms in the wrong direction to unscrew it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes sorry it is the zoom ring of course, but that is how the lens button gets pushed 

bobthetog
Apprentice

I have had the 100-400mm mk1 repeatly disengage on 2 seperate bodies, I allways give the lens a good tug to make sure its engaged only to have it seperate moments later. It has got to the point that I tether the lens with a strap to the shoulder strap. As this is the only lens that automagicaly pops off I am inclined to believe that the problem lies with the lens. I have had extenders disengage but that is a known problem I solved by appling 1 drop of wd40 into the release switch. I have noticed that when chimping my finger falls on the release button so I concede that on occasion that may have been an issue. Has anyone had this happen with multiple lenses?

"Has anyone had this happen ....". 

Sure, lots of folks.  Numerous people have posted on this thread with the same complaint.  Start reading from page 1.  They hall have the same complaint with lenses suddenly releasing.  Most folks blame the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

Sure, lots of folks.  Numerous people have posted on this thread with the same complaint.  Start reading from page 1.  They hall have the same complaint with lenses suddenly releasing.  Most folks blame the camera.

Except that's NOT what the OP asked.

He asked "Has anyone had this happen with multiple lenses?"

And, in my case, the answer is no. Only with the 100-400 Mk1 - which I've now sold and moved to the Mk2. No probs so far with it. Plus, for the time being, I've retired the Black Rapid pending getting a holster (as suggested here), and that's the only time I had problems. So, hard to say if it was just that a combination of that lens,body, strap or not (for me).

@schmegg wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Except that's NOT what the OP asked.

He asked "Has anyone had this happen with multiple lenses?"

And, in my case, the answer is no. Only with the 100-400 Mk1 - which I've now sold and moved to the Mk2. No probs so far with it. Plus, for the time being, I've retired the Black Rapid pending getting a holster (as suggested here), and that's the only time I had problems. So, hard to say if it was just that a combination of that lens,body, strap or not (for me).

It is EXACTLY what the OP asked.  The whole point of this thread has been certain camera bodies release lenses, as in multiple lenses from the same body.  Have a nice day.  Most people blame the camera, not the lenses.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I previously commented on this and my opinion is that is camera poor design easily overcome by having the button more recessed with a spring requiring a stronger push for it to release.  But Canon only listen to its so called "list of experts".   And for those who blame the lens or the user; wait until it happens to them.

Yes, exactly. I agreed with your "button more recessed" and my experience of replacing a stronger spring which really help.

But there may still be other causes of accidental lens release, so Canon experts really have to work harder.

I've had this happen twice now. With a 70-200 f2.8 and with a 100-400. Both on my 5D3. Both times I've been using a 'sun sniper' strap attached to the tripod mount. The strap holds the lens at hip level. I think this is allowing the release button to be pushed in when it comes into contact with my body. I've now shortened the strap and hopefully the button cannot come into too much contact with my body. Yes, the button is a bit large but the issue could be down to how where the strap holds the lens and camera.

I've never had the issue when the strap is attached to the body of the camera and a smaller lens is attached.

JoeDavid
Enthusiast
Sounds to me like there are a handful of people that need to review how they handle their equipment given that there are hundreds or thousands, perhaps millions, of Canon DSLR users worldwide that don't seem to be having a problem with it. I've dropped a lens before but it wasn't due to me accidentally ejecting it off of the camera body. It was due to a backpack design that required you to expose all of your equipment to get anything out. Hurray for the backpacks with butterfly opening!
Currenly using R5 and R7 mostly plus a variety of Canon RF and EF lens...
Announcements