cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80d image corrupted

chief
Rising Star

any body know what caused this, Shot on 80d with 150mm-600mm Tamron iso 640 f/6.3 1/2000sec shutter, SanDisk extreme pro 64gb class 3 , 10IMG_0703.jpgIMG_08401.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Did it happen once or multiple times?

If just once, it is just one of those things. Any number of things can happen to corrupt the data on the card. Syl Arena shows a very similar example in his Speedlighters Handbook.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The Sandisk “Extreme Pro” is “too much” card for Canon DSLRs.  I believe it is a UHS-3.  Stick to the UHS-1 Sandisk “Extreme”, without the extra “Pro” label, or anything else.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have been using this card in 80d 6 months and even longer in my 6d Mii and never had any issue. This card was recommended. Why is it to much card?

You may have hit a corrupt block on the disk that hadn’t been used before.  

Reformat the card (always only format cards IN CAMERA ... never on the computer ... this assures that the exFAT filesystem is created with the blocking factor that the camera is most efficient at using)

Also... even MORE important... make sure you check the “low level” tick-box when you do the format.  If you do “low level” then the camera actually create and checks every block on the filesystem.  If you do NOT do “low level” then the format simply reinitializes the filesystem info without actually writing out each block.

You WANT that write because when the camera writes it, it checks to make sure the write succeeded and it will “map out” any bad blocks to avoid using them in the future.

As for “too much” card.

You want a card that matches the capabilities of the camera’s card slot.  For example, I have a 5D IV.  It takes both CF and SD cards.  But the very very fastest CF card technology is called “CFast” but the 5D IV doesn’t actually have a “CFast” slot.  You can “use” a CFast card... but it forces the card into “compatibility mode” to work as a normal CF card (which isn’t nearly as fast as a native CF card).  So you actually get WORSE performance by buying a HIGHER end card and forcing the high-end card to work in a “compatibility mode”.  You really want the card where the card is in it’s “native” mode when used in that card slot.

If your 80D (because I’m not looking at the specs as I write this) is a “UHS-I” slot... then use a “UHS-I” card.  But don’t use a “UHS-I” card in a slot for a camera that only supports.... say “Class 10” SDXC cards that aren’t technically “UHS-I” because this forces the card into “compatibility mode” where it wont be nearly as fast as a native card.

Compatibility mode shouldn’t result in corruption... just slower performance.  Corruption is a different problem.  The most likely cause of corruption is a bad block on the card itself.  The process of “writing” to non-volatile flash memory is technically moderately destructive (which is why cards have a limited number of “write” cycles before they are predicted to fail.)

Think of cards as being like the tires on your car.  Each time you take a trip, that tire does technically wear.  A trip to the local grocery store may be an imperceptible amount of wear that you can’t measure in just one trip... but rest assured the amount of wear was not “zero”.  After enough tens of thousands of miles... you eventually need to replace the tires.

Memory cards work the same way.  They do “wear” when used... and will eventually need to be replaced.

The amount of use for casual users is so little that it’s likely you’ll want a newer model camera before the card fails.  But if you use the card quite heavily... the card may fail before you want to upgrade the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@chief wrote:

I have been using this card in 80d 6 months and even longer in my 6d Mii and never had any issue. This card was recommended. Why is it to much card?

You may have been given bad advice.  Just as using the highest available octane gasoline is not always what is best for your automobile, using the memory card with the best specifications may not always be what is best for your camera.

CF cards are more akin to a memory chip than a removable storage media.  But, the evolution of the performance of SD card capabilities follows a similar path   Your 80D only uses SD cards, which should be UHS-1 cards.  Stick to only using UHS-1 cards in your camera, which is what is recommended in your Instruction Manual.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

And also be very careful where you buy cards because low quality counterfeit versions of well known card brands is a very big issue.

When I bought my new Corvette in 2016 I ordered a couple of SanDisk Class 10 cards for its video/data recorder and what I received were clearly counterfeit items.  Fortunately they came from a well known EXTREMELY large online retailer so return wasn't a problem and I then ordered from B&H.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

thanks everybody, where do I find a SanDisk 64gb extreme uhs 1? I looked on BH Photo and they are all extreme pro uhs 3, I most be missing something can somebody send me link to card you recomend, once again thanks

This is the B&H link to the class 10 SD cards I use in my Corvette:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282965-REG/sandisk_sdsdxxg_064g_gn4in_extremepro_sdhc_64gb.h...

They have worked well and I have never had a glitch.  I also use them in my old EOS 1D Mark II

Do NOT use the micro cards with an adapter because the adapter is one more link in a chain that can fail.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks, that is card I have been using, I was referring back to Waddizzle who said that is too much card and just use the extreme version not the extreme pro version, confused to say the least
Announcements