cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D sudden exposure flicker in full manual video

Canoonista_CZ
Contributor

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with the following issue, I've been facing with my 80D.

Almost everytime I shoot a video sequence longer than a couple seconds with 80D, there's a sudden and abrupt change in exposure. Everything is turns very overexposed for a couple frames, then it goes back to normal, thus ruins the shot. Does it wide open as well as stopped down to f8+. Seems to me like the camera is hunting for focus - yet all is in manual and AF switch on the lens is turned off. Does the same even when the AF is enabled.

I haven't experienced this kind of behaviour with my 6D, so this is quite new.

Lens used is Tamron 24-70/2.8 Di VC USD.

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14

I still wanna keep my 6D for stills. Was ok with the fact that that my Tamron 70-200/2.8 wouldn't work for video with 80D (firmware issue), but there were no issues reported with 24-70/2.8 for 80D. In other words I'd need to get rid of all my lenses (apart from the Canon ones) and invest into new glass, which optically doesn't add much just to use it with 80D for video...nope, would rather keep the lenses and get a Sony with adapter instead.

@Canoonista_CZ wrote:

I still wanna keep my 6D for stills. Was ok with the fact that that my Tamron 70-200/2.8 wouldn't work for video with 80D (firmware issue), but there were no issues reported with 24-70/2.8 for 80D. In other words I'd need to get rid of all my lenses (apart from the Canon ones) and invest into new glass, which optically doesn't add much just to use it with 80D for video...nope, would rather keep the lenses and get a Sony with adapter instead.

Did you ever contact Tamron? If it really is a firmware issue, maybe they could fix it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

My Tamron lenses are out of warranty already and they charge an unreasonable sum of money...which I'm not willing to pay.

@Canoonista_CZ wrote:

My Tamron lenses are out of warranty already and they charge an unreasonable sum of money...which I'm not willing to pay.

They charge enough to justify you buying a new camera? I'm surprised; but if the shoe fits, wear it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

rernstes
Apprentice

Hi--Four years later I am having the EXACT same problem on the EXACT same camera & lens. Did you ever solve this? I'm wondering if its a compatability issue or if the lens or camera is actualy defunct. 

Announcements