cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D or 6D Mark ii??

kjkruer
Apprentice

Hey all... need a little help.

I'm looking to upgrade my current Nikon D5000 and I'm looking to Canon.  The two I'm looking at are the 80D and the 6D Mark ii.  My needs are fairly small... mostly take pictures around the house of family, some outdoors stuff, a little sports stuff (kids sports), and I'm very interested in using it for video (Not worried about lack of 4K).  I also have done a few "vlog" style videos but that's not really my main goal.  I'm not really looking to get into professional photography or anything at the moment.

I've done a lot of homework and I know most of the differences between the two... mainly the 6D being full frame and newer, but I'm not sure it's work the extra money.  There's lots of deals on the 80D right now and if I bought the 80D I'd probably pair it with the 18-135 IS USM lense.  Which I can pick up refurbed for about $1000.  I've watched lots of videos and there are lots of mixed opinions out there about the 6D Mark ii.  This is a camera that I hope to keep for at least 5-7 years before even considering replacing it so I want to get the most bang for my buck.  Lets say my budget is in the $1500-$1800 range... Am I better off with the 80D and getting a few extra lenses, or spending more on the 6DMII and only scraping by for now with one lense or something.  Is there a camera I should consider that maybe I'm missing?  Maybe I should wait and see if a 90D comes out?  I guess if there is someone that has both or has had both of these cameras maybe could shed some light on this for me.  Thanks everyone and I'm excited to be part of the canon community!

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kjkruer wrote:

Hey all... need a little help.

I'm looking to upgrade my current Nikon D5000 and I'm looking to Canon.  The two I'm looking at are the 80D and the 6D Mark ii.  My needs are fairly small... mostly take pictures around the house of family, some outdoors stuff, a little sports stuff (kids sports), and I'm very interested in using it for video (Not worried about lack of 4K).  I also have done a few "vlog" style videos but that's not really my main goal.  I'm not really looking to get into professional photography or anything at the moment.

I've done a lot of homework and I know most of the differences between the two... mainly the 6D being full frame and newer, but I'm not sure it's work the extra money.  There's lots of deals on the 80D right now and if I bought the 80D I'd probably pair it with the 18-135 IS USM lense.  Which I can pick up refurbed for about $1000.  I've watched lots of videos and there are lots of mixed opinions out there about the 6D Mark ii.  This is a camera that I hope to keep for at least 5-7 years before even considering replacing it so I want to get the most bang for my buck.  Lets say my budget is in the $1500-$1800 range... Am I better off with the 80D and getting a few extra lenses, or spending more on the 6DMII and only scraping by for now with one lense or something.  Is there a camera I should consider that maybe I'm missing?  Maybe I should wait and see if a 90D comes out?  I guess if there is someone that has both or has had both of these cameras maybe could shed some light on this for me.  Thanks everyone and I'm excited to be part of the canon community!

I have had both.  I gave away the 80D camera bodies to my sons.  Go for the 80D.  There are deals to had in the Refurbished Store.

Buy a quality lens.  One really great lens is better than a couple of pretty good lenses.  There are several lens choices to pick from.  I would advise picking up a constant aperture zoom lens, made by Canon.   

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements