cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D NO TIME CODE??

MaryMac
Contributor
What happened to time code with the 80D? It was in with the 70D and I used it with my video filming, but to my surprise, even though it's in the official press release for the new camera, they failed to include time code in the new camera. Can anyone shed light on this and if it's possible they will update the firmware to include it at a later date?
13 REPLIES 13

MaryMac
Contributor
No thoughts?

@MaryMac wrote:
No thoughts?

Can you elaborate a bit? I've been a Canon user for 13 years, and I've never heard of a time code. If I'm going to try to help you, I have no idea where to start.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

MaryMac
Contributor
Sure, with the 70D, you could go into the menu and under sound settings, you could select time code. This would embed the time code into the video file filmed with the DSLR. This is helpful when you are filming with multiple cameras. However, it seems that with the 80D they have removed this feature for no reason.

@MaryMac wrote:
Sure, with the 70D, you could go into the menu and under sound settings, you could select time code. This would embed the time code into the video file filmed with the DSLR. This is helpful when you are filming with multiple cameras. However, it seems that with the 80D they have removed this feature for no reason.

Ah, OK, I didn't get it because I don't do video. But I have heard of that synchronization feature, now that you mention it. I dunno; maybe it's one of those seemingly indefensible cost-saving measures, like leaving an IR receiver off of the 50D and AFMA off of the 60D. But before you give up, make sure you're reading the full version of the manual (from the CD or the Canon Web site), not the abbreviated printed version.

Bob

I think you have to call Canon. I can find no mention of timecode in the 528 page manual.

MaryMac
Contributor
Yea, I contacted them yesterday and they do not know why it was announced in the press release In February, then removed from the production model. Bull.... Oh well. I know most don't care about this from a photography standpoint, but with the addition of movie time lapse, 60fps @1080p, 45 focus points, this is a camera videographers love and it's a shame they took time code out.

I hope you told them to honor the press release and put it back.

I share your pain.  The 70D didn't have a headphone port to monitor the audio so I have held off buying this for the 80D, not thinking for a second that in finally adding the headphone port, they'd then go and remove the time code facility!!!.  Here's hoping for a firmware update.  Totally crazy that they gear this new model up to be a perfect mid-range video recorder (not personally fussed about the lack of 4k) to find they drop a feature which is so fundamental to post audio/video sync....  Please Canon, release a firmware update to honour your press release and not deter potential purchases!

@DSLRookie wrote:

I share your pain.  The 70D didn't have a headphone port to monitor the audio so I have held off buying this for the 80D, not thinking for a second that in finally adding the headphone port, they'd then go and remove the time code facility!!!.  Here's hoping for a firmware update.  Totally crazy that they gear this new model up to be a perfect mid-range video recorder (not personally fussed about the lack of 4k) to find they drop a feature which is so fundamental to post audio/video sync....  Please Canon, release a firmware update to honour your press release and not deter potential purchases!

On the 50D they left off the IR receiver (leaving no support for remote IR triggers).
On the 60D they left off autofocus microadjustment.
On the 70D they left off the headphone port.

So given their history with the n0D series, I guess it would have been surprising if they hadn't left a significant feature off of the 80D.

Bob
Announcements